Building deck and had to cut some roots. Did I kill the tree?

n8huntsman

TreeHouser
I'm building a deck that will be flush with the ground. To do so I excavated down about 7". The deck is L-shaped, with the tree in the corner. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is. It's 25 years old, deciduous, 18" diameter, and about 35 to 40 feet tall. Can't get pictures of the leaf because they are just now starting to sprout. They fall off in November.

1.) How likely is it that what I've done will kill the tree?

2.) If I put the edge of the deck up against those cut roots (couple inches of a gap to keep an eye on it), will they continue to grow even being exposed? They wont be buried. Is there anything I can put on them to prevent the ends from growing?

3.) I know the pics are limited but does anyone have an idea of what type of tree this is?

Thanks

edit: for some reason it's not allowing me to upload the pics so they are located here: http://n8sbar.servebeer.com/index.p...ese-but-needed-to-clear-the-way-for-the-deck/

Wow, that doesn't look good. Tree health and stability may be compromised. Hopefully Guy will chime in, he will be able to provide some insight.

...Shigo said the Sugar Maple is quite tolerant of above ground trimming yet extremely sensitive below ground...compaction, root disruption, drainage and construction... anything inside the drip edge

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...Shigo said the Sugar Maple is quite tolerant of above ground trimming yet extremely sensitive below ground...compaction, root disruption, drainage and construction... anything inside the drip edge

You think it's a sugar maple? Isn't the trunk too big (18") to be a 25 year old sugar maple?

Nate, where are you located? Looks like subtropical plants...Florida, Hawaii?

I agree that the root pruning is pretty significant. Even if the structural stability is not affected (hard to say from photos but definitely possible) you may see the crown dying back within the next few years.

And welcome to the Treehouse. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm in Southern California. Some tropical stuff does well here, some does not. It's trial and error but the stuff in the pics has been there for several years and is doing very well. Sounds like I really screwed up with the tree. I should have just raised the deck 6". I was trying to keep it low because I don't want the roof towering over the fence, becoming an eye sore to the neighbors. I'll get an arborist out here to give it another look but the internet response has been unanimous, including another forum. What's done is done I guess. I can always plant another tree with deeper roots. The falling leaves were kind of a pain.

usually the bigger roots are for the trees stability and the smaller hair like roots are the feeder roots. I could just imagine how many were connected to that root. The tree wont be able to feed that whole tree. next season you will probably see the effects of those roots you severed if it doesnt topple over first in a heavy wind.
Next time convince home owner to remove or work out design if possible, in a way that it wouldn't interfear. Hope home owner doesn't hold you reliable if anything negative should happen to tree. I WOULD GET A CERTIFIED ARBORIST OVER THERE IMMEDIATLY TO GET A FIRST HAND OBSERVATION ON CORRECTIVE MEASURES IF HOMEOWNER IS NOT WANTING TO REMOVE

Difficult!
Those falling leaves are such a pain, the shade blocks the sunlight, the roots (used to) pull up all that water. Trees suck!

DIY not always the best idea. Arborists plan for preservation. Maybe Nick can help w ID etc.

Back