Budget power quality meter to verify generator output THD

Robert P

TreeHouser
Hi all. I want to verify the THD output of what's supposed to be an electronics-friendly generator before connecting it to my window AC unit. I'll be going into a UPS for the computers so they're not as crucial.

Any suggestions for the cheapest unit that will get it done? AMPROBE and Fluke units I'm finding even used are in the $300 - $400 range. Is that about the bottom end or is there something else you can recommend?

Last edited:
Hi all. I want to verify the output of what's supposed to be an electronics-friendly generator before connecting it to my window AC unit. I'll be going into a UPS for the computers so they're not as crucial.

Any suggestions for the cheapest unit that will get it done? AMPROBE and Fluke units I'm finding even used are in the $300 - $400 range. Is that about the bottom end or is there something else you can recommend?
If no one here can answer, Shadowscape and possibly a couple others on TreeBuzz could help you.

I hope I didn’t just commit a forum felony. The TreeHouse is still my favorite.

I'll ask Rob what he was using Robert. But I think he just tracks the smart meter now through the power companys website and tracks what is on and off. Helps him monitor his solar array contribution during certain times of day. I'll talk to him tonight as he is out milling. I think he had found a reasonable priced unit, or his dad did.

No. I thought he had something his dad set up. He got a plug in wall outlet meter so he could monitor what each appliance or things he had plugged in were using. So he knows like what the coffee pot, dishwasher, tv, computer etc uses per hr.. then just does the math and compares his notes to the grid feed back. Helps him plan his solar build and what he needs for freezers etc.

I don't know anything about this stuff, but I feel like an oscilloscope would be the tool to use.

Hi all. I want to verify the THD output of what's supposed to be an electronics-friendly generator before connecting it to my window AC unit. I'll be going into a UPS for the computers so they're not as crucial.

Are you trying to measure the sine wave to see if it’s steady and within parameters?

What are you trying to measure?

THD, Total harmonic distortion. Most modern generators are under 5% with inverter generators being better. It’s the variation from the sine wave at 60hz things are designed for here. “Dirty” power can harm electronics.

What generator is it @Robert P ?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
THD, Total harmonic distortion. Most modern generators are under 5% with inverter generators being better. It’s the variation from the sine wave at 60hz things are designed for here. “Dirty” power can harm electronics.

What generator is it @Robert P ?
This one.

1693208695623.png

Last edited:
I think it would be wise to test the THD throughout the whole load range in case it gets high at a particular load.

I am an electrician. I hate to admit ignorance but I have never measured THD. Usually we are dealing with utility power or a big backup generator. If there are power quality issues it’s not my problem.

Back