Bucket Truck

colin-roberts

Young Arborist
Came across a good deal on a bucket truck, but don't know much about the inspections ect needed to operate a bucket truck. The truck runs and drives but the boom is untested so far, the boom appears to be about a 40 footer rear mount. What should i look for?

40' ain't gonna cut it.

Otherwise look at everything, carefully. A life support machine. Get it inspected.

When I trimmed telephone lives for Asplundh, we used a 40. That's all we needed and you can get into tighter places.

I team up with my homie and his 60' over center and we are often wishing for 10 more feet. We get by though. Its not often anyone climbs out of the bucket. Once in awhile. We usually do something or other to cheat the rest of the top down.

I'll have a bionic hand this fall! Well atleast one with blood flowing freely through it again. I've never noticed the pistol grip being hard on my hands, say compared to the saw?

I'll have a bionic hand this fall! Well atleast one with blood flowing freely through it again. I've never noticed the pistol grip being hard on my hands, say compared to the saw?

Pistol, baaaad. Free levers, gooood.

Squish, what are you saying about your hand?

I'm signed up for carpal tunnel surgery.

I prefer a pistol over levers myself. My pistol moves freely and the safety part you have to squeeze to make things function takes very little effort. I found the levers on my old boom much harder on my hand(s).

For certain it's easier to function three ways with a pistol.

For me the boom is another tool in the kit. Boom accessible trees are gravy. I often tell customers on a quote though, there always comes the day when you climb the backyard tree high enough so you can see your fancy bucket truck parked out on the street all useless like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it has 40 feet of reach , I know when it was new it was built to be a tree truck , can't see them paying to have a truck that's hardly usable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fourty is barely enough to do line utility work with .Not nearly enough for tree service work .IMO you need at least a 60 footer .

Our trees top at about 80'. A 40' bucket would be useless to me. For that matter, my Wraptor is overkill. Even if you can put that truck right at the base of the tree, you will need more stick.

You guys are probably right , I figured for the $1500 it would cost it would be an okay bucket truck for trees I can't or won't climb Considering it past all the certs in 2011, I'll have to take it up to make sure it's that shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500 bucks? buy it. For 1500 bucks it will return the investment. Might just be best suited for small work, but at that price point, you will be fine. If it doesnt pass certs down the road, you'll get half your money back in scrap value alone. Buy it.

Yes $1500, the stainless steel tool boxes on it are probably worth that. Just before buying trying to figure out how to tell if boom will pass certs. don't really care bout dyelectric cert but dont know if it will pass other inspections,or my cost to fix it to pass

Back