Bronze Birch Borer

ClimbMIT

TreeHouser
I found Bronze Birch Borer's climbing and what appeared to be depositing egg larvae on a large Water Oak (Quercus nigra). This happened yesterday while working on a removal. I saw an Emerald color on the body and first thing I thought was EAB. I did a loooong search of pics and info on the net and it matches up to me. I have no degree just a State licensed Arborist. I am curious why they did this on a Oak? All the info I read said they only attack Birch trees. I have one captured I was thinking of sending it to the Agriculture and Forestry Dept here in Louisiana.

Send it to Davey Institute of Tree Science or USDA.... Me, when I see a bug, the first thing I do is say EWWWWWWWWW then I try to get as far away as possible.

I had big ass roaches crawling all over me as I was slicing a pecan trunk up today. They don't bother me until they crawl up into my hardhat and stroll across my face.

You would really like our beetles then.....

6178544902_19aa720524_o.jpg

images

get_out-ponderous_borer_beetle-8894.jpg

Hahaha. As long as the bug doesn't have a stinger or bites, I can deal with them. I'v had those big black tree ants all over me, no real biting to speak of. And once in a while, red wasps will be all over a pecan TD. No stinging, I think they were just looking for food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hahaha. As long as the bug doesn't have a stinger or bites, I can deal with them. I'v had those big black tree ants all over me, no real biting to speak of. And once in a while, red wasps will be all over a pecan TD. No stinging, I think they were just looking for food.

I had that happen as well with the Carpenter Ants. All on me was getting worried and no bites so it was cool. I still don't care for roaches but it wont stop my progress.

It sure looks like one.
image02_small.jpg

According to that link they aren't too fussy about what tree they get into.

"The borer will attack many species of trees and shrubs including maple, oak, sycamore, tulip, poplar, willow, rose, and cotoneaster."

Back