Bridge failure in Ann Arbor

He was free climbing?

love
nick

I think reporters get stuff wrong a lot. My impression of things is that he was probably climbing with rope and saddle, and that his rope bridge failed. I think he fell about forty feet onto a deck. EMT's kept him alive for a trip to the hospital, I think, but he later passed away.

A big discussion happened on another forum about the frequency with which a climber should change out the rope bridge. I guess the takeaway was basically that a short hank of good rope is so cheap, that about six months is a good time limit, if I recall correctly.

Here is a link to the thread that discusses all of this stuff in the other forum.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/ann-arbor-fatality.32613/#post-470241

Tim

Bridge failure is really upsetting. I think the manufacturers charging $20-30 for a single bridge have some responsibility in this. As a retailer we see lots of opportunities to have good margins on various products. As a climber and a husband I dont think the rope bridge has to be one of these.

We sell Eye and Eyes for what I think are a fair price of $24... making one of these bridges (http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15088) is exactly the same amount of work (and more liability) but we sell them 2 for $20 in the hope that people replace them more often.

Using scaffold knots (less adjustable than an anchor bend but not requiring the sewn stiffener when used with an appropriate amount of tail - IMO) is even more affordable.

I have to believe these types of fatalities are avoidable.

I love the webbing bridge on the new cougar saddles. Weaver states replace every 6 months, I climb only a few times a week, I replace once a year. If I can't get to it, I just add a rope to double things up.

I think reporters get stuff wrong a lot.

Tim

I think that reporters get details wrong most of the time, whether from their intention or being misinformed, themselves.

They don't say "and by the way, this factually makes no sense, as we contradict ourselves", nor "We don't know what the fatal errors were, but the guy is dead".

Something gave way.

Free climbing means different things in different arenas, for example rock and tree climbing.

Bridge failure is really upsetting. I think the manufacturers charging $20-30 for a single bridge have some responsibility in this. As a retailer we see lots of opportunities to have good margins on various products. As a climber and a husband I dont think the rope bridge has to be one of these.
Sad situation indeed. A needless death in my opinion

I disagree on the manufacturers being culpable in any way. People who complain about the price are probably the same ones who spout the b.s. That helmets are too expensive & do not wear one. Probably cheaper than a weeks worth of smokes - either item.
The real issue is education, both from within the industry & a bigger push from manufacturers presenting the relevant information on inspection & life span in more than the small print.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like the guy had been climbing with that company for 10+ years. It would be interesting to know more of the specifics.

We sell Eye and Eyes for what I think are a fair price of $24... making one of these bridges (http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15088) is exactly the same amount of work (and more liability) but we sell them 2 for $20 in the hope that people replace them more often.

Using scaffold knots (less adjustable than an anchor bend but not requiring the sewn stiffener when used with an appropriate amount of tail - IMO) is even more affordable.

I have to believe these types of fatalities are avoidable.

I appreciate what you posted, Nick.

reporters are usually awful when reporting non-mainstream activities. Similar issues always pop up in climbing and skydiving articles. The reporters have no idea what they are saying, and the great differences in a slight change of terminology. Part of my skydiving instruction was to not say anything to reporters if there is an incident, because they always get it wrong, so only the DZ safety officer should talk to them to minimize confusion.

The reporter probably got the details from a police report, which probably got the detail wrong or wasn't detailed enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree. The fact that they mentioned something as specific as a bridge failure is pretty remarkable. I want to know if it was one of those UHMW core bridges, or an old webbing bridge, or what.

Back