Bridge collapse in Baltimore

vharrison

Island Girl
Holy Moly, have you seen the video? It happened in the wee hours of the morning, a cargo ship hit the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The story is obviously developing.

That bridge is tall as shit. One of the first partychiefs I had surveying was an ironworker on that bridge.

Looks like it. Possibility that LEOs might have been doing traffic control. But nothing said yet. Just the difference in lights I noticed is making me speculate there were.

This is just almost unbelievable. John and I won’t forget where we were when we found out about the bridge collapse. I use that bridge approximately every 2 months. Our local economy will take a large hit. The new traffic patterns will inundate alternative routes. I’m grateful the bridge was hit so early in the morning when traffic was so little. It’s a shame about the 6 construction workers who lost their lives (haven’t been found so presumably didn’t make it)

Traffic will really suck. That was my preferred path south towards Annapolis, and I used it a lot from other areas depending on time. It wasn't as highly traveled as I95 & I895, so even though the path was longer, it was less stressful, and you tended to stay moving. Also, there's more opportunities to bail, and go crosscountry. Luckily, I don't get down that way as much as I used to. The Sparrows Point job I was working on was pretty close to it on the north side.

The biggest thing after body recovery will be getting that port open. 3/4 million cars and light trucks go through there annually not to mention all the other goods. Lord knows how long it will take to move all that debris out of the channel.

Apparently the federal government said they’ll be paying for repairs but what about the ships insurance carrier?! It’s going to be billions between repairs and lost revenue.

Hazmat and oversize loads are gonna be an issue too. That was a path for loads that couldn't go through the tunnels. They'll have to go the long way around the beltway now. Small hazmat could maybe go through the city, but that isn't appealing either. Things are gonna be good and screwed for quite awhile.

Back