Break-Test Video

Here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

Masking tape pull test? That ought to shed some light for some do-it-your selfers, who use tape to fix their harnesses. What an idea.

Well I'd never advocate that but it'd be interesting to know. May have non life support/threatening uses if in a pinch.

YAY Miguel's!

I hear an old climbing buddy from southern Illinois has a restaurant down that way now, at the red, Aaron. Shorter, mutant-strong guy.

I thought about doing some of my own break tests. I've got a dynamometer, a big live oak and a bucket truck. I might need to throw a blanket over the stuff to cut down on the shrapnel but I think it would work. It wouldn't be as exciting as Nick's test as I wouldn't be able to see the action but hopefully the results would be the same. Any thoughts?

Ive got a load cell on the end of a hydraulic cylinder . I have tested a lot of stuff and one thing that really became evident is rope is freakin strong!! Ive seen on numerous tests welds break before the rope did. Interesting to pull test different knots too.

Indeed. A single break test on any piece of gear we use in this profession will generate more response from people than Carter has little liver pills. Case in point: the response and feed back generated from the drop test video using the GRCS and Hobbs' devices was phenomenal, and it continues today.

...word, Hobb's and GRCS are built pretty tough...the safety certs are way under the true capabilities...eye opening when tested to destruction...same with everything we rig or hang from

Ive got a load cell on the end of a hydraulic cylinder . I have tested a lot of stuff and one thing that really became evident is rope is freakin strong!! Ive seen on numerous tests welds break before the rope did. Interesting to pull test different knots too.
...Rope is Strong!

Liability laws have done much good in the design, strength and function of so many things we use everyday. At the same time the laws are over redundant with so many simpe things. Is there a happy medium?

I have tested a lot of stuff and one thing that really became evident is rope is freakin strong!! Ive seen on numerous tests welds break before the rope did.

That's insane.

Liability laws have done much good in the design, strength and function of so many things we use everyday. At the same time the laws are over redundant with so many simpe things. Is there a happy medium?

Europe, maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cant do it. They aren't sold individually yet. As soon as they are its on, but I don't want to trash a $500 saddle for a $20 ring.

The top of the tree is the weakest link. Guarantee most of our tie in points when tied high wouldn't stand up to much of a break test.

Realizing limits for life support points and rigging points in the tree is two distinctly different things. As a rule I've always kept my rigging points below my tie in point in the same tree. But that rule always applied to conifers. In hardwood trees with highly modified trunks its a whole different thing altogether.

Weights and balances, tension and pressure, angles and dangles..... It all makes for a lot to think about.

Back