Branch walking, how do you do it?

Mick!

TreeHouser
I was looking at the other thread and not understanding a thing about 3 in 1s for branch walking redirects and all that.

So I’ll explain how I do it how I get out and how I get back.

If I have a reasonably long walk out, I never or almost never do that walking backwards letting the rope out thing.
That’s how we were taught at college, but in practice I found it too precarious and falling off meant you did a spiral into the trunk, not knowing where you were in space till you hit the trunk.

So firstly I look along and plan the branch, hopefully there’ll be stop offs (secondary branches to hold onto and maybe put the flip line in to pause and assess the rest of the walk.

Then, I grab the friction hitch, give myself a bit of slack and…just walk out there forwards, little or no adjustments, get to where I’m going, put in my flip line and do what I’ve got to do. I might go down on one knee/shin as I approach the very end and angles get more critical.

Now the return, what I normally do is take up the slack, stand up and walk back in, not taking the slack up, just going hand over hand on the rope, if I fall I trust myself with two hands to keep hold of the rope and stop a total disaster, get back in to the trunk where I take up the slack and do the next thing.

Does this chime with anyone or do you all use more textbook/classic approaches?

Yup. Hand over hand return walking back up the limb toward center. However, I tend the slack at about 3-4 feet of it to prevent too much of a fall. Rope is just an extension of the arm.
I tried 3:1 when I first started SRT since I enjoyed the 2:1 advantage of Ddrt prior. But it really seemed cumbersome to me. Easier to just build up my upper body strength and pull myself back. In certain cases, I have used my foot ascender to help push back up and tend some slack on more vetical type limbs. But rare.
Climbing IMHO is something you build your body up to. If you use a crutch too long, you never do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m sort of teaching my groundy at the moment, and the return is a technique I feel is the simplest and best for all but insane long walks.

If I have a reasonably long walk out, I never or almost never do that walking backwards letting the rope out thing.
That’s how we were taught at college, but in practice I found it too precarious and falling off meant you did a spiral into the trunk, not knowing where you were in space till you hit the trunk.
I don't think I understand this. Wouldn't walking backward keep the anchor in front of you with you facing the stem, and a fall would /tend/ to keep you facing the stem?

I don't think I understand this. Wouldn't walking backward keep the anchor in front of you with you facing the stem, and a fall would /tend/ to keep you facing the stem?
Well, yes.
But when you fall off walking backwards (with tension on the rope) there’s a tendancy to try and right yourself, in doing that you fall sideways and spiral out of control.

Understood, I’m not srt savvy, so have to do whatever it takes. Even riding the pony on occasion.
Basics are easy enough, really. Tutorial videos like the Schultz Effect (for sale) might help a lot.

I clove hitch a autolock Petzl pulley-biner on my srt rope, put my tail through the biner and secure it to my saddle through a biner on a sling attached to my saddle.

Just ordered a Captain hook kit.

If you're not keeping weight in a system, I think it means being in good sized/ strong wood. End-weight reduction pruning of fir limbs definitely requires it.

A ground man can belay in order to protect the climber from a swing into the trunk with the standing-end of the rope or a rigging rope/ accessory rope.

I try to keep a loose lanyard on the limb.

A long lanyard advanced in front of me let's me move from 'rest' to 'rest' spot where I'm stable to advance it farther.

A small branch, cut from the tree, makes a simple lanyard advancing tool.

A New Tribe grapnel is a very specialty tool that van be used for rope advancement.

A New Tribe grapnel is a very specialty tool that van be used for rope advancement.
Not sure if that's available anymore. Stig sent one, and while it isn't frequently used, when I need it, it's super handy. This might be the closest replacement for the grapnel...

Hmm. I'm a big bad hairy chested pine climber! We walk out on ponderosa limbs like it's Broadway on Friday night, striding boldly, possibly carrying a cane, just for show. When were done with the work, we simply swing back in to the trunk, pop our collars and move on with the day.

That guy doesn't look overly confident. Looks like statistics will catch up to him sooner or later. Also, screw vines. I've been dropped by vines that didn't look like they'd ever come out. Not in treework, and luckily I didn't get high enough to matter, but it was enough to learn an easy valuable lesson.

Best method for me on average has been to not walk on top but rather to be off to the side, opposite my tie in as much as is posible. I'm pushing sideways on the branch with my feet/legs rather than just balancing. More load on my rope and less on the branch.

This is often necessary in many conifer species, as the limbs are inclined to break if weighted out away from the bole very much...probably why I tend to use this method since most of my work has been in such trees.

Best method for me on average has been to not walk on top but rather to be off to the side, opposite my tie in as much as is posible. I'm pushing sideways on the branch with my feet/legs rather than just balancing. More load on my rope and less on the branch.

This is often necessary in many conifer species, as the limbs are inclined to break if weighted out away from the bole very much...probably why I tend to use this method since most of my work has been in such trees.
My nephew did that first time I saw him climb after college, swimming alongside an oak branch 12‘ diameter you could hang a car off.

Yes it works, but on a daily basis on multiple branches it’s exhausting.

In your scenario I don’t doubt it was the best/safest method

I always say ‘if you can stand, stand, if you can walk, walk, it’s what you’re built for, it’s less tiring’

Back