Boat cleats

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I was at a locals shop recently who had a new truck built by altec.

On the back altec mounted boat cleats for an option for lowering. I thougt it was a neat idea.

Has anyone used them on anything? Im considering mounting one on the front of the bucket, if it ever needs a tug, or needs to tug something. Possibly on the back deck plate too.

I mounted a large one on my buddy's grapple bucket. It works similar to a Porta wrap for lowering when needed. It does however put a little more stress on the line as I see it, really tight bend radius, but nothing crucial.

That local has used that for a long time. I've never tried it personally. But I prefer any lowering device to be at base of tree instead of on the truck, unless the pieces are basically small. Big pieces put extra strain on the tree if they are tied off to the truck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, the bend radius would only warrant smalls.

I have good luck with the porty on the pintle usually.

A guy i know takes massive pieces down onto the truck, scary.

That has to be Harland, I assume.;)

Guys with that name can't go small, not in their nature.

Do you mean that they aren't redirecting at the base of the tree, and coming into the truck horizontally, but rather going from the truck up to the block, putting a large side load on the stem?

We used a big cleat for the Amsteel, until I convinced them to buy the big Stein version of the POW for increased bend radius. It was welded and bolted onto 2" square solid square stock. We used it for pulling, but not catching.

I saw one of Greg Goods trucks at a WAA show one time that had receiver hitches mounted all over the place..... Maybe 4 or 6. He used them with the truck mount and GRCS to lower and pull/raise. They were mounted in very inconspicuous places so it didn't look stupid. I thought about looking into that for our new truck but I figured it wouldn't be worth the added cost.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That should be cheap fabrication, I would think. I had a hitch put on my big front bumper of my truck. Just keeping in mind the vector force in its use, and if the hitch tube is mounted and braced for that direction.

The newer version of my truck would of had the pockets on both sides of the rear mount deck. Very inconspicuous. I had a guy working on a bollard for me and others but thats been a year or more now, and we were going go add the pockets in factory locations.

Tree Care Inc has a big bollard mounted on the back rear. I don't have one on the truck I'm running down here but when I meet back up with everyone later today I'll grab a pic for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4uzape7a.jpg
y8yje7a7.jpg

Loving the alc. I've worked around a terex before but have always liked the look of the alc the best, and now that I've been running one I can see why you guys prefer it.

Loving the alc. I've worked around a terex before but have always liked the look of the alc the best, and now that I've been running one I can see why you guys prefer it.

:thumbup:

Heh. You're a bucket baby now?

Once you get the free ride. It's hard to go back.

Nah, your skills can atrophy cuz that's the way climbing is, you gotta do it most everyday. But with the bucket, the climber isn't all beat up from too much climbing, imo

ALC. where if the rear mount can get any further it'd be on the bumper. :lol:

Tell us what your up to, adrian?

Back