bio plex, and root damaged trees

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
anyone used it?
i've got a 150 yr old walnut that had the back 1/3rdof its root zone removed b4 i was able to stop it...not by me or my people, it was the contractor and his excavator...so anyways, it's a historic tree, and now in a huge debate of kill it or save it, but if i save it, it will need root pruning for the paving to go in.

i recommended using a rock saw and cutting around the drip line b4 using the excavator any more.

i was thinking the bio plex would help reduce shock and promote healing, the poor tree is in river sand/rock soil, and it's over 90 degrees daily where it is.
i told the developer it may become a liability and if it's in the way remove it, but that's not going to happen with the local historian and other school staff on watch.....they want to save it, i'm afraid of 2 things ...liability if it dies and fails, and liability of replacement...not like you can just pick up a 150 yr old tree just down the road...the architect and contractor like the idea of planting new trees in the new paved areas, instead....ahhh a dilemma .

so any one got experience with this stuff?

Sounds like the excavating contractor has the liability, why would that fall on you? No idea on the bio plex but why root prune to the drip line? Find out what the CRZ is for the tree and how much room the construction requires and see what you make work. Don't cut more than you need to to accomplish the goals

This isn't the same walnut we worked on Dave?

When you say 1/3rd root zone removed? do you mean the root system was torn up by the excavator? If so, I would clean up any jagged edges left by the excavators. I would try and get a tree protection fence installed around the critical root zone (up to dripline if possible), to prevent any further damage. Once the edges and cleaned up and the damage assessed, I would back fill with the native soil, put 3 - 4" of coarse mulch down as far out as possible and irrigate if you think the tree needs it? Try to talk the contractor into hiring you to be onsite for any excavation work in or around the tree protection area, and pay you your hourly rate to monitor his excavators. If they want the tree saved they gotta $$$ for your knowledge and expertise.

Photos!

jp:D

Anybody know about the effectiveness of Superthrive?

A landscaper that I met recently, who is educated as a horticulturalist, mentioned that he likes using it in conjunction with a "root curtain" next to french drains/ excavation.

Snake oil, it's vitamin boost that plants already natural have. I did an experiment in an undergrad course comparing effects with negligible results with the superthrive.

jp:D

it will need root pruning for the paving to go in.

Do what now? what kind of specs for paving around this historic tree are in place? you are the arborist--tell them NO more root loss, period.

Pave above the roots if they need to pave at all. read matheny and clark on this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah i did, trees and development, i can quote parts of it i know it so well, it's that they dont care, yet the client does, and politics prevail, i cleaned up the broken roots, and raised the canopy, and removed the damaged limbs, and applied a layer of chips under the canopy
not able to get it fenced off..

but i did grind out a 5ft madrone stump

Back