Biner Talk

If you want an easy solution with gear readily available at Big Green, then use lanyard snaps. The opening is perfect for clipping onto a half inch rope and it has a nice wide face so you're not stressing the rope where it bends.
I like this lanyard snap suggestion, Brian. Could you post some more detail, please? I'm not familiar with "Big Green".

My favorite oval is the ct. The dmm gates seem to jam. Isc makes real nice gates. Im curious about thr rock o's.

Here goes dudes first post after browsing for a year. Quite vocal on da buzz but want to mix it up a bit. I been knot-less rigging the last few years. Have built sprectra one inch tubular webbing slings sewn with the strongest thread used for sail-making ( bombproof IMHO ). I have throw so much weight in those webbing slings haven't busted or bruised one yet. They are made in a doubled over pattern with the overlap stitched industrially with a cross pattern stitch which overlaps twice. When the diameter gets to 14" they take back seat and I will use the bull rope and the ISC bigdan steel posi biner. Clove hitched or when bigger diameter of up to 30" I will use a marline and replace the running bowline with the ISC steel biner which are going on 5 years ( my humble career although I am 45 ). For blocking down trunk wood bigger than 30" I resort to the marline and running bowline combo or if I am taking long really heavy branches in one toss. Long post but I try to give the full picture so as not to have to much explaining down the line. That wood in the picture is some hardwood Mahogany, I am from the tropics where most wood is hardwood. It makes spectacular furniture which can last for centuries.Now in the picture with the marline the setup would be lower down ( just an example dudes not rigging tutorial so excuse the placement ) as it is going to be butt hitched and I tie all cinching knots to the bull rope attachment to the biner i.e double fishermans or buntline or anchor and inspect regularly for compromises. IMG04044-20120614-1915.jpg IMG04045-20120614-1917.jpg IMG04046-20120614-1917.jpg

Oh yeah and Rock exotica ovals for climbing, love the gates and smooth opening one handed. Petzl OK's are good too. Have tried many but these are my faves. Yeah Butch mine is Paul. Quite an old timers name, seems it's hardly used these days, not fancy enough. Thanks for da welcome folks. Oh yeah and I am not so fortunate to work on those mighty conifers, it's piddly 70' to 80' max down here ( spreading crowns with not so great TIP makes for tricky climbing especially on prunes where I gotta ditch the spikes of coarse ) but we do get some heavy rigging with our dense hardwoods on removals etc.

Paul, welcome. Nice post on how you do things. Keep it coming man. I'd love to hear and see more of your work you've described.

Hey Chris thanks for the welcome dude, appreciate it. I like what I see on this forum some straight shooters from what I can see. I like getting into the mix so I will be showing my stuff and learning from you dudes often as that is what a forum does. It challenges our brains and helps in sharing the thing we got most in common. Here it's da trees and keeping safe while working in them and caring for them. Here is a pic of that sling in full swing. IMG03445-20120516-1006.jpg

Here's one using the marline and biner ( replacing the running bowline ). That's some heavy branch and brush, those biners when setup correctly in that combo ain't going nowhere even with some shock load as with this scenario. Both pics are mahogany and that wood is heavy dude very slow growing tree. These trees are over a hundred years easy. IMG03997-20120613-0952.jpg

I like your big top throw in your avatar butch. Adrenaline rush in a biggie way. I am up north for 4 weeks soon maybe get to throw a top or two just maybe. On poles I only thrown big Royal Palm heads and coconut heads but not much height there and not the weight either but I can only experience what I got here. I do get to throw some heavy casaurina tops though, wood like concrete, this is a small one of them ( tree ). Here I am removing some heavy wood that had grown over the primaries nuff psycho climbing as I did not have a high TIP and had to get all the way out over the lines and work my way in, look at the branch behind and that is much smaller. Just a peek at what I deal with here, dudes hate dem casaurinas or concrete wood as I call them better got sharp chains or go home. IMG00385-20110919-1123.jpg IMG00392-20110919-1141.jpg IMG00399-20110919-1324.jpg

Welcome, Paul. I also use steel carabiners and spliced slings for my rigging needs, although I'm leery of recommending it. Rigging with carabiners is tricky since you have to be very careful to put the load on the spine of the carabiner. Flipping a biner backwards just once can be devastating in the wrong situation. I've bent and broken a few biners as well as 5/8" double braid slings.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you posting. Always refreshing to get some new perspectives and we try not to be too judgmental around here. If you're a pro and do this stuff for a living then that alone earns you some respect. We all do stuff a little bit differently but that doesn't automatically make it wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I walked up and one of the salesman was talking to my foreman, and I hear him asking "So if there are no targets, and HO is ok with it is it like, ok to just bomb the wood? Because see the tree (an ash) is really big and stone dead so we dont want to rig off it right? I mean there is plenty of room, but can we NOT rope the stuff down?"

My foreman and I are just looking at eachother like is this guy serious? I bomb wood whenever I can, regardless of the facts he is going on about. He had to leave suddenly so we didnt get to explain to him how dumb he was.

We get in the truck and Duane says, Im sure its a flopper.

Welcome, Paul. I also use steel carabiners and spliced slings for my rigging needs, although I'm leery of recommending it. Rigging with carabiners is tricky since you have to be very careful to put the load on the spine of the carabiner. Flipping a biner backwards just once can be devastating in the wrong situation. I've bent and broken a few biners as well as 5/8" double braid slings.

Hey Brian, I get what you are saying, no one on this island ( except me I think ) ties knots, I learnt the biner way and have since taught myself to use knots on heavy wood and where I absolutely can't afford a mistake because of an obstacle of precious value. I will never advocate this way as I know everyone might not be as aware of it's drawbacks like you mentioned. But in most scenarios it can speed up productivity, check out mistaben's ( Ben Draper ) new Tulip video which came with high praise across this forum from dudes like Jerry B and the blaster himself. Biners on da go. But your points are super valid and nuff respect dude I appreciate all that's pointed out as I don't want to lead anyone astray. I am a pretty stand up dude who pays attention and listens well as I love learning.

Always a clove with a couple half hitches for small stuff and the either a half hitch running bowline combo or marline running bowline combo for big stuff for ya Butch correct.?

Back