Big leaf Maple prune

RegC

TreeHouser
I deadwooded this tree last tuesday. Luckily we had a dry day, because there was a lot of tree to get around. Hard to tell what was dying and what wasnt at times. But a lot came out.

From a climbers point of view, Big leaf maples (Acer Macrophyllum) are particularly wobbly out here. They grow fast and extended without thickening out so much it seems. So it takes a few minutes to adjust to that when you're leaning into or getting any kind of suppose from your line. 10-15 minutes later your not even noticing though. This had about 8-9 stems.

The sun doesn't help the camera much....but it does get better as I get around to the road side. Probably better viewing on a laptop or PC. Be hard to see on a phone.

Use HD setting. Thanks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kl_c7Vc7Sjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice work Reg.

Don't think I've ever seen you use a pole saw!

We don't need no stinkin pole saws!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice work Reg.

Don't think I've ever seen you use a pole saw!

We don't need no stinkin pole saws!

Jomo

I have a couple good ones Jon. When you need them theyre great. But more trouble than not to haul around a big tree like that against the clock.

Don't you find the T150 to be excellent for that kind of work?

Definitely a top day for the job with the sun shining. It looked quite a complex tree to work, a lot of redirecting & re-climbing. Not the work I love, but always like driving away with a sense of achievement.
Nice job as usual Reg :)

Don't you find the T150 to be excellent for that kind of work?

Great pruning saw Stig. I was edging towards the battery husky, but the overwelming thumbs up for the 150 from everyone who'd bought one was hard to ignore.

Another instant classic by RC Tree, thx for posting!

Are you saying you would have done that tree even if conditions were wet? That would be nuts imo.

The music grew on me as I watched, excellent by the vid's end.

Dumb srt question: your main tie in point, you couldn't retrieve that from the ground I assume, did you ungirth that webbing/biner and then Ddrt to the ground? Thx!

Cory: you seriously need to start throwing up some pic/vid stuff, man. You know what the heck you're talking about.

Reg: That was the coolest thing I've seen in quite some time. Man, you can climb, brother. A ton of people don't appreciate how much harder the climb is to prune a standard BLM than it would be to remove the pig. Could have exchanged the techno for death-metal, but that's just my humble, personal (and rather inbred) preference. Beautiful, beautiful stuff. Well done.

Cory, I big shot through a high crotch and base tied it. Then I climbed up and set a redi sling with carabiner about a foot above the crotch. I girth hitched the line through that carabiner but left the base tie in place so I could get back down after. To climb straight off the crotch wouldve meant a lot of back and forth slipping of the rope on a tall bendy tree like that....of which thered be no advantage.

Nothing inbred about your suggestions, ever, Jed. But putting your favorite songs over a youtube vid seems to be more and more restricted now days. Thus was the second attempt to load this vid. The first resulting in several countries blocked as well as mobile devices, due to copyright issues. So, I had to use a royalty free download site. The choice is never ideal.

Thanks again

if SRT hadnt come around, we would all be fooked alot sonner than later! Thanks to the Wrench, climbing is juts so intuitive now. I dont get as tired now using SRT in big takedowns, its just sooo much easier. Yahoo.

Good job Reg mate, bit different to your usual vids. Ive totally lost interest in filming anything... though weve been doing some big ones of late. ah well...

Thanks for the info, Reg, much appreciated and well explained.

Good vid!...I bet its a nice change up from the firs Reg.

SRT is the best system by far in big trees....I wouldnt even think DRT, would be a rats nest trying to move around and feeding rope thru crotches...SRT way smoother and great positioning with re directs ;)

MS 150 rules the roost for pruning!! :thumbup:

Good vid!...I bet its a nice change up from the firs Reg.

SRT is the best system by far in big trees....I wouldnt even think DRT, would be a rats nest trying to move around and feeding rope thru crotches...SRT way smoother and great positioning with re directs ;)

MS 150 rules the roost for pruning!! :thumbup:

Its about 60/40 conifers to hardwoods here. Before coming to BC, I banked over 20 years climbing hardwoods most days, so it all feels very familiar when I get in a big one like that. If I was in them every day again Id be a little quicker, obviously.

I totally agree on your other points. Plenty of jobs that Id still pick DdRT.....but not a big pruning tree like that. You just cant take the same liberties with DdRt that you can with the other. Lot of extra time, effort and restrictions.

The company that I work for doesn't even ALLOW srt. :|:

I use it anyway on 90% of the trees I climb. :P

Awesome work and video Reg. Like everyone has pointed out, SRT on trees like this is just the way to go. Don't think any experienced climber could argue with that. I also like doing these trees, because it makes you think so much more of how you are going to plan your climbing route from both an ascent and descent point of view. It can make the job much more interesting.

Are those your Stein boots that you are climbing in? Do you find them a little bulky for pruning work vs. removals in spikes? Thanks again for sharing.

Awesome work and video Reg. Like everyone has pointed out, SRT on trees like this is just the way to go. Don't think any experienced climber could argue with that. I also like doing these trees, because it makes you think so much more of how you are going to plan your climbing route from both an ascent and descent point of view. It can make the job much more interesting.

Are those your Stein boots that you are climbing in? Do you find them a little bulky for pruning work vs. removals in spikes? Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks. They are very slim and tight fitting Chris. Take a little time to break in but a good build quality. Not as comfortable as he pfanners....but not as bulky either.

For what tasks do you prefer DdRT? Are you ever using a 3:1 on SRT so you can go back up more like traditional DdRT, pulling your way back up with MA?

I love a big maple prune or removal. I feel much more like a real climber, not going up a basically straight pole, so often.

For what tasks do you prefer DdRT? Are you ever using a 3:1 on SRT so you can go back up more like traditional DdRT, pulling your way back up with MA?

I love a big maple prune or removal. I feel much more like a real climber, not going up a basically straight pole, so often.

Easier stuff Sean, mainly. And, some bigger removals. Crane work. Transferring between trees or groups of trees etc

Never done that 3:1 thing. Havent needed too. I just pull like crazy. Never had a problem.

Back