Big Doug fir climb

RegC

TreeHouser
Use HD setting.

Some bad language, but not terrible.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tRNnbWFMEyE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Laughed my ass off at the rec climber part! Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, but damn it I'm getting paid to do it.
Thanks for sharing Reg

Wow, what a massive tree. I would climb it for free, once at least. How did Daryl get his line out? Did you go back up?

These "fuggen rec climbers" are my friends. But you're kinda OK too, Reg..... as long as you don't lose that frikkin' accent! ;)
I'll be seeing them in 10 days at a non TCC fun competition climb on Bainbridge Island.

Dan, Will and Tiger climbing "Big Lonely Doug" It's a shame they logged that huge clear cut all around the tree, Canada's second largest...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OxPlKVK8RLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can see both sides of it, in my advanced age and hard acquired wisdom :D.

While I was a working climber I was completely with Reg's position...but once retired, I can see the obvious parallels with rock climbing, or caving, or several other very physically demanding sports that people go to extremes to enjoy every effing day.

Might be that I got some revelation after being approached by not just one but two separate tree climbing guide services after I retired, seeking to hire me as a trainer/safety officer/guide. Opened my eyes though.

I was tempted, but with the needed hip replacement soon to be scheduled, plus not really wanting another job anyway, 'twas a relatively easy thing to say thanks but no thanks.

Just an observation, no judgment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These "fuggen rec climbers" are my friends. I'll be seeing them in 10 days at a non TCC fun competition climb on Bainbridge Island.

Dan, Will and Tiger climbing "Big Lonely Doug" It's a shame they logged that huge clear cut all around the tree, Canada's second largest...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OxPlKVK8RLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing against em Rog....just have zero desire to ever be one. I worked with Dan on the heli logging. We flew over that tree everyday.

We joked between us at thought that they perhaps only left it because it was too big, and too much work to get out. And not that it was for some kind of moral reasoning, like many assumed.

When we asked Kevin who clear cut that whole area why it was left, he replied 'too big and too much work' !

Another vid of Canada's largest tree, a western red cedar

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xw2Im8nSOdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've done a bit of rec climbing, Reg... Would like to do more, if only for the photo/video opp's... But, as you know, I'm older than dirt and getting lazy....

Have you seen Pakenham's books? "Remarkable Trees of the World" and "Meetings with Magnificient Trees" ( all or most are in British Isles)

Big effing tree! Ive only done one rec, and it was fun. Tried out some new gear and made some friends etc.
Reg how did you that single line out?

" I'm not used to this kind of single line climbing"

Really, one would never guess, you looked so smooth and fast going up.............................:lol:

" I'm not used to this kind of single line climbing"

Really, one would never guess, you looked so smooth and fast going up.............................:lol:

I was talking about Darrell

Big effing tree! Ive only done one rec, and it was fun. Tried out some new gear and made some friends etc.
Reg how did you that single line out?

Darrell switched it to double when he got up there

I can see both sides of it, in my advanced age and hard acquired wisdom :D.

While I was a working climber I was completely with Reg's position...but once retired, I can see the obvious parallels with rock climbing, or caving, or several other very physically demanding sports that people go to extremes to enjoy every effing day.

I used to think that way, too.
Then one of my former apprentices got a permission to climb one of the biggest trees in the country and we made a trip out of it.
We had such a good time futzing around in that tree, really.
Just the boys out for some fun.
So we got into it more, quickly ran out of trees to climb, having done the tallest in Scandinavia and all the biggies in Denmark, and had to look elsewhere.
That led to our 3 trips to California to climb some of the slightly bigger stuff.

I wouldn't have missed out on those Redwoods and especially the Sequoias for anything.

Next weekend we have our annuall gettogether with about 10 like minded others for a day of rec climbing and tecnique exchanges.

The woman in the group asked the owner of Tranekær castle if we could play in the old trees in the park and somehow got permission.

Afterwards we'll camp out, dine well and drink ourself silly. I traded some milling for the hind leg of a Fallow deer, that'll go on the grill.

Life as a "fuggen" rec-climber isn't so bad, really:)

Back