Big dead pine has to go

Oh yeah a 2100 Huskey that pulls over about like rope starting a Harley .Fiona would have to put a kick starter on that arm breaker to get it started .

Cutting that tree with that bar and saw would be cool, like driving up a gnarly 4wd road, only to see a 2wd car up there on top. Its not about being able to do the best work with the best equipment, its about getting the job done with what you have. Now I wouldn't want to buck it into firewood rounds with a small saw/ bar combo. I would much rather double cut with a 36" bar on a 660 than the 50" or 60" on the 880...well at least at head or shoulder high like we cut most of our root disease trees, especially since you need a smaller saw for the pilot kerf.

TCB, Fiona!

They've got a ton more grunt than an 066 .Problem is getting the damned things started .

Those Swedes' built a hell of a saw with the older series 281 and 2100,2101 but why in the world they never put decomps on them I'll ever know .I know those Vikings are tough but they can't be that tough .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about, climb the tree tie the starter cord to a branch then drop it...
My saws run pretty well for being tuned by a girl, all that porty sporty stuff is for the guys to make themselves feel...maybe I should stop digging now, because one day I might want someone to hook up my saws:D

How about, climb the tree tie the starter cord to a branch then drop it...
Well truthfully it would just hang there unless you jumped on it .As tiny as you are I doubt you weight enough .BTW I wasn't talking about a souped up 2100 .In stock form you about have to superman to pull one over .I'm good for about 5-6 tugs on the rope then I have to rest for a spell .

I know you're a tough little gal but trust me you don't want one because you'd have a hell of a time getting it started .

I'd think if you can borrow a 460 and hang a 3 footer on it that would get the job done .

I can pull a 32" with a souped 038 mag so I'd assume a 460 would handle a 36" although you'd have to feather it back a tad but it should pull it .

It will pull it. Takes a minute, but I've pulled a 36" with an 044 in hardwood. In a bind of course. I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Well, I should be back up there this week, got some other stuff to do on the property so we'll have a real good look at it...again!

Cut it up enough so the machinery can take it to the burn pile...

Got to wait for them to get the ok to drop it in the neighbour's paddock, got to wait for the Mrs. to finish with the plumbers and brickies, got to do a couple of smaller jobs first (the Mrs. HO is rather particular...)

I am seriously tempted to give it a go myself...

Fiona, a person able to handle the biggest Norfolk Island pines I've ever seen, should easily be able to handle that pine.

Go for it, and win this one for the short bar team:D

Back