Best way to anchor a block with a piece of bull rope?

802climber

TreeHouser
Lets just say I am doing hazardous removals for a cheap ass company that has me in a sweet LRV 60/70 but will not buy me proper rigging slings. Refuse to bring in my personal rigging stuff.

So, what's the strongest/fastest way to anchor a block with a short piece of bull rope? (no splicing)

I was thinking of attaching the block with a bowline and then timber hitching it to the tree, but I know there has got to be a better way!

In a way that breaks the sling without damaging people or much property, after leaving open the the tree stuff website on the office computer.

Are they scrimping to make the payments on the lift?

Seems to me that if you Basket'ed the block in a bight, then tied a timber hitch with both legs, you may bend the rope less acutely, and have two legs to share the load, and no knot.

Yes, coffee next to me on the arm of the couch, which is next to the wood stove, dark outside, not under fluorescent lights next to a hydraulic pull testing bed.

Idea is worth the price paid.

I've always in the past, in similar situations, asked the boss to show me how to do it with what they supply, once the boss gets frustrated by his own methods, then show them a better way with better equipment, and ask for more money........ but that usually got me fired with that attitude..... it amazes me a good length of tenex for a few bucks and 20 minutes can produce a loopie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems to me that if you Basket'ed the block in a bight, then tied a timber hitch with both legs, you may bend the rope less acutely, and have two legs to share the load, and no knot.

Yes, coffee next to me on the arm of the couch, which is next to the wood stove, dark outside, not under fluorescent lights next to a hydraulic pull testing bed.

Idea is worth the price paid.

Great idea, this is what I will have to do. Thanks!

In a way that breaks the sling without damaging people or much property, after leaving open the the tree stuff website on the office computer.

Are they scrimping to make the payments on the lift?

Hahaha. My phones are dead, got sick of cutting timber, took a job with a huge "tree expert co" for awhile...... Mostly a bunch of hacks....... I am a takedown crew foreman, on the ground I have mainly untrained people wearing so much PPE they can barely move. We are actually pretty well equipped, except they are extremely weird about a few things, such as rigging slings. Turns out the last guy didn't hang blocks using 6-foot strap slings either... he brought in all his own rigging gear.....

Cow hitch, clove hitch, timber hitch.... Just do it. Tell them an adjustable loopie will pay pay for it's self in weeks by not having to pay you to tie and untie. If they don't speak that language then use what is supplied

I was thinking of attaching the block with a bowline and then timber hitching it to the tree

There are sexier and better ways to do it but I don't see a problem with this method. If you are using 3/4" dbl braid and aren't taking giant pieces, I can't see a problem.

I always wanted to try this, it should be stronger than any spliced sling as there is no splice nor knots. Downside would probably be excessive rope to deal with, little slow to set up therefore.

I do the bowline thing all the time.. never broke one yet.. Just tie the bight big enough you TH over the two legs of the bight.
I have done the double rope as the timber hitch... It works and has good strength. But as Cory points out.. more rope to tie.

Don't show those boys any new tricks. They will be your competition some day. ;)

Nothing wrong with using a decent piece of rope for a sling. Always a good way to use small pieces that are not too banged up or stressed. I do it all the time with bits I have lying about.

Nothing wrong with using a decent piece of rope for a sling. Always a good way to use small pieces that are not too banged up or stressed. I do it all the time with bits I have lying about.

Same here. These days I usually use a nice tenex sling that Brendon spliced for me, together with a cmi steel block. But for a long time I would simply clove hitch a short length of 3/4'' to the trunk and hook the swivel hook of a Crosby block thru the 2 legs of the clove hitch, e-z p-z. Really the only drawback to that arrangement is the hook could be less than totally fail safe when use at weird angles of pull

I did the timber hitch for a long time and bought a whoopi just to make life easier. Boss could barely comprehend anything above natural crotch rigging so the whoopi was mine. He bought a spool of 3/4 tenex at an auction thinking it was bull rope and now I got loopies and whoopsies of many lengths. He still can't understand why I use them but life is easier. Show your tricks if it'll get you paid more. If not just do enough to get by.

I splice dead eyes and loopies out of Tenex all the time. Love em.. But in a pinch...

Bottom line is, if I were an employee getting paid by the hour to use someone else's set up .... Efficiency would be a tad lower on my priority list. Dude wants me to use bits of rope... No problemo.... Just going to focus on rigging safely and keeping property and people safe. How small ya want me to go boss??

Hahaha. My phones are dead, got sick of cutting timber, took a job with a huge "tree expert co" for awhile...... Mostly a bunch of hacks.......
......Really , in Vermont ! ...Hacks ? !

Haha no way !!! This level of hackery is quarantined. Rarely allowed out of NH state lines. Amazing what can get accomplished with a small fortune in equipment and virtually no training....

Just curious as to what you would have to anchor the block that you won't bring to the job? Don't get me wrong, if I'm working for someone that they give me grief AND pay bad, well, I'd do the same thing! I was just wondering.

Back