best carabiner action!

I do have 2 of the ISC Mighty Mouse biners, the compactness is nice, and the shape is pretty symmetrical. Loads up nice with a bunch of stuff like both eyes of a hitch cord, a double eye rope wrench tether and a HitchClimber or Phlotich pulley in the middle. That’s about the only time I really like an HMS biner is when it’s more than just a connector for 2 things. The Rock Exotica Pirate is nice too, just a bit bigger. I’m ok with an oval with a pulley and two sewn or spliced eyes, but it’s a little cluttered. If the cord has tied terminations, I’ll use an HMS, but it’s probably not important, so long as it fits and loads nicely and I’m able to still open the gate.
I do need to clean one of the ISCs, the gate is not fully rotating closed and locking on its own, probably a little pitch or something, feels gummy. Likely nothing a little WD40 and a blast from the air compressor won’t fix.

If your shackle is tightened with a tool, it probably ok. I stopped using steel hardware on my aluminum rings and Ds, but I’m probably just babying my saddle. Exception is the steel biner on the HH2. Probably a lousy idea to run an aluminum biner on it. Especially with my dirty ropes. They’ll have a belt sander effect on it lol I gotta hit up the laundromat to wash ropes.

The issue I have with the Mighty Mouse biner is the too small gap between the frame and the gate at the opening. The gate can't be opened if a 1/2" rope is in this corner. You have to push the rope near the spine to get enough clearance. Annoying when it's on the climb line. Now one holds my chainsaw's lanyard on the saddle, the best use I finaly found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing I just noticed that I thought was a nice touch on the pirate, is when the gate is open it offsets to the side of the back beam. !Fancy! HeHe.

Soft shackle connector with 1/2” pipe tender incorporated into the hitch, plus a new to me hitch.
View attachment 119116
I saw that hitch on the buzz I think. Since I'm not a member, I had to download the thumbnail image, and blow it up. I could see well enough to replicate it. My intention is to maybe give it a try some time. It's a little "much" for my taste though. I don't care for needing hardware I wouldn't otherwise already have, but if it ends up being amazing, it would be worth keeping a pipe section or two in the bag.

When I turned 60 I was redoing my EHAP cert at the local Shade Tree Symposium. Dr John Ball asked for a show of hands of those over 50 years of age. He proceeded to say that his and others’ research showed that we were at a considerably higher risk of death or injury due primarily to our age, declining reflexes, non-intentional negligent familiarity etc.

One thing I chose to do after that lecture was to mix my biners: half open upward movement, half open downward movement. It slows me down a few seconds, but keeps me in touch with exactly what I am doing, and reminds me to double-check everything.

I get where you're going with that, but it seems like a hassle. I like being being able to work a biner blind, and know exactly how it works, which end is up, etc. Might be cause I'm new enough to check the shit out of everything before committing, but it seems like biner accidents related to the mechanism would be rare. They're very tactile, and give aural clues as to what's happening. I think the bigger risk with 'negligent familiarity' is clipping into the wrong thing(or not clipping in at all(!)) on autopilot, and going with it.

Yep, Blindly clipping into a side Dee, as has been done a million times before, only to find that your 'biner is now connected to a soft accessory/tool Dee can be fatal... I am not condoning this for everyone, rather just for my 'getting old, feebleness-coming' self. A little hassle is the price I pay to avoid complacency.

I got the new wesspur catalog yesterday. RE's biners are consistently labled "Expert use only" for the downlock, and no label for the up. I guess any old dummy can use an uplock biner, but it takes special skill for down. That's me; expert!

IMG_20220319_090726.jpg

:^P

Does your wesspur catalog on the cover say 2021 or 2022 tree gear catalog?

I have been riding around with my dmm rhino beanr in the cab with me and when I'm cruzin' I open it to get better at it, it also passes time at a red light. But I figured it out! it's all about the thumb! If I place my thumb in the right spot all I have to do is open my thumb and that movement is the exact movement that opens it up. The tip of the nail about a 16th of an inch below the nail on the farthest part to the right before the nail jets back to the cuticle and use my index finger to hold the rhino. This is also for right hand operations.

2022. It's the brand new catalog. You should get one if you ordered from them before. I always get one without specifically asking.

I just received an order from the 2 weeks ago and gother a 2021 version. Those bad boys must be HOTT off the Press!

Back