Bar question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think its there as a Tooling mark. Probably some kind of jig or machine uses that hole for a ref, mark. Im just guessing though.

Makes sense.

MB, :thumbup:

Sean, you have to follow the image to the website to get image tags that work

Just stumbled on this from Madsen's.

Is The Machining Plug Is In Place?

There should be a small aluminum plug in the machining hole near the bar tip. This plug fills a small “blanked” hole that was originally used to hold the end of the bar during manufacturing. If this plug falls out, the hole tends to collect chips. Almost no one checks this. You wouldn't think loosing this plug would make much difference, but surprisingly, when the plug is missing, the tip will hang up in the cut. Few saw users realize how important this plug is. If you need a replacement plug, contact us, we've got some extras.

Have you had this happen? I ran saws with slots, grooves, small and big holes in the bars and I can't think of any of them hanging up in the cut...

Cut4fun, that is me to a tee. Thanks for the info and the availability of replacement plugs. I filed the hole with epoxy a couple of days ago, we will see how it does and if it lasts.

I have had a mysterious puzzle where my bar hangs up while cutting sometimes, chain spinning but not cutting, until I wiggle it some. I wondered if the rails were splayed out or something, though they don't look too bad, just never closed them. I will have to see if I have a hole in my bar, but don't recall it.

There is mostly a hole there, it is needed in manufacturing of solid bars and in some cases laminated also.
If you need to wiggle it to get it to cut you might have faulty bar rails, not correctly set riders or not correct angles.

If it wiggles in groove it is often not just bar that is wrong, also chain.

The hole gets filled with chips and the chip accumulation becomes wider than the thickness of the bar which causes binding. The bar in question has low wear/good rails. The chain cuts fast and straight.

Is the chips packed in real hard? It must be quite a bit pressure in that tiny hole to stop a bar in the cut.
What wood is it you cut? Length of chips? Or is it more dust...

They're packed in enough that they have to brushed out with a finger or similar. It doesn't stop the bar but it impedes it, makes it feel like the saw got dull cuz it isn't proceeding fast in the cut. Cut everything but mostly cut hardwood. Its chips more than dust.

If epoxy fails I would first look around for aluminum stock to make a bar plug/(rivet) out of. As I think it would be at risk of falling out again I would chamfer the shoulder of the hole on each side. Putting it in with a little patience and lighter hammering and that should handle it without damage to bar.

If epoxy fails I'll probably get the plugs from cut4fun, or just chuck the bar. Thanks.

Back