Bar oil

I remember a few years ago when I was having lunch sitting on a stump and realized I forgot to butter my sandwiches , just grabbed the jug of canola and poured it on, hahahaha.

Stihl and Husqvarna bar oil today is good oil, we get it here in 3 weight grades, summer, fall and winter and it's clear now.....great for carving sculptures.
I'm no expert on bar oil, just use what is best for me mostly for my health, from hearing and reading about the warnings of petroleum bar oil mist and yes both Stihl and Husky print that in their saw manuals.
When your 55 with small children you look at life expentcy options a lot closer:lol:
But I would like to know what Stihl adds to their BIO Plus veggie oil to make it more user friendly for the cold temps and anti gumming.

Easier to replace an oil pump than a lung.

Oddly enough there are some folk that believe aspirating canola oil may be more harmful than aspirating petroleum oils..........

Oddly enough there are some folk that believe aspirating canola oil may be more harmful than aspirating petroleum oils..........
We had this same debate here on TH a few years ago and toward the end of the thread someone posted the FDA findings on petroleum versus veggie oil mist.
Maybe someone can post that link here. I don't know how to:)

I have an 8' 4" PVC pipe that I push a toilet roll in the bottom of and pore the oil in and leave it over a 5 gallon pail. Takes a week or so to drain through but comes out filtered to about 4 microns which is cleaner than your bar oil!!
I like that filter idea!!! 4"x8' PVC with Toilet Paper filter!

That's how to get the used oil clean!
N

As a veggie oil, forget the sun flower oil and the blends with it. It gums pretty well by an oxidative process, like the linseed oil in painting or wood care.

The fry oils are way better because they are more stable.
Grape seed oil works well but is expensive and I used it only for a short time.
I use rapeseed oil, food grade. It's one of the cheapest oil, is used as a row material for environmental friendly hydrolic oil and other industrial applications.
(oops, edit, I just saw that the canola oil is the other name).
As is, it stays liquid on and in the chainsaw.
But however, it tends to gum up when mixed with foreign particles at high temp, like the flying sawdust near the chain sprocket and more over on the cylinder, clogging the cooling fins. It makes a cake very hard to remove completely. The ms200T is terrible for that, because when the tank is over filed, part of the oil in excess goes directly under the rewind starter cover.

The buddy's 3120xp stays often a long time between uses and she gets only mineral oil.

I made some blends with mineral and veggie oils to see the compatibility, to upgrade the properties or in case I had to switch from one to the other in the field. Motor oil (clean, I precise) and gear box oil mix well with the canola oil, no trouble at all.
But when I tried a mineral bar oil, a cloudy one, the tackyfier agent phased out and made the mix unusable. I had to filter the mess.
With an other mineral bar oil, a clear one, it went well though.
Actually I use the canola oil straight from the food shop, in this cheapest bottle which you can hardly take without crushing it and with the tiny cap which love to pop unexpectedly.

My main motivation is the fact that canola is the cheapest by a fair margin here, secondly the tackifier agents are unhealthy for me to breathe in, and environmental considerations are pretty low down the scale. I did have to fell a tree in a trout stream this week though, so I gave myself a little pat on the back for using bio.

By importing dead dinos from Bailey's I can keep the price at ½ that of canola.
We use a lot of oil, so it is a major factor in what I use.
Also I plain dislike that gummy shit.

Burnham, are you quite sure you used to work for a government agency?

Over the years I picked up many high paying jobs enough to pay for a new pickup in total from prime residential jobs owned by doctors, lawyers, politicians from selling them on the fact that I only use bio oil in my saws.
As a matter of fact my Stihl Ultra synthetic mix is also total bio.

By importing dead dinos from Bailey's I can keep the price at ½ that of canola.
We use a lot of oil, so it is a major factor in what I use.
Also I plain dislike that gummy shit.

Burnham, are you quite sure you used to work for a government agency?

I THINK so, Stig. It's kinda hard to recall in great detail at this point.
:D

I used veggie oil once when I dumped a tree in a lake and we had to wear chest waders to get it out. I could have gotten in a lot of trouble for doing that.

I used to use traditional bar oil, but always bought husqvarna or stihl brand. It just seemed to stick to the chain more, and not make such a mess. I switched over to the stihl bio bar oil a few years ago for environmental reasons, as well as to help expensive clothing last longer. I researched canola when making the transition. I #1 did not like the idea of "gumming up" my saws and #2 detest the fact that Monsanto has effectively driven any honest farmer into bankruptcy by patenting and distributing their "round up ready" seed. The canola seed crop is effectively 90+% GMO, and I just have a hard time supporting that in any way.

How do you like the bio oil compared to the regular stihl brand and what's the price difference? Welcome to the treehouse I'm Joe.

Welcome, Porktaco!

How has the round up ready seed hurt farmers?

Hey joe- I'm Will. The bio oil is just a hair thinner, but I really like it. The price here... Is almost DOUBLE the price of the conventional stuff.

Cory - Monsanto has patented this GMO seed. When their seed cross polinates a farmer unwilling to use a GMO seed, they send lawyers and threaten to bankrupt and essentially disembowel 60 year old farmers that have grown this product thier whole lives. They take thier farm, equipment, home... Everything. UNLESS you sell out and grow thier trash crop. These farmers used to be able to clean thier seed in order to plant thier next seasons crop. Now, with roundup ready gmo seed, they have to buy it yearly from the seller. There are several documentaries on this available on Netflix. Also watch food inc.

You mean the cross pollination causes the farmer to get GMO seed for "free" so Monsanto sues them to get them to pay for it/buy it?

Exactly. Also the organic canola industry is being wiped out because all of their crop is now getting cross pollinated with the GMO stuff.

Also- check out the links between the FDA/government employees and the positions that they held/hold in Monsanto... It is really scary!

One of Monsanto's slogans, "Without chemicals, life itself would be impossible". Sell your souls to the devil to make the fortune 500 club.

So many children. A hell of a life...

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 53
Back