Bar Oil Cost ...Geez

Not gonna go into a geopolitical rant about OPEC, but we all know how steadily Bar Oil has gone up. F'n hurts. I buy the case or cases ... inquired about splitting a shipping pallet load with a buddy , No Savings! Wondering if I source 55 Gallons of unrated 10 or 30 weight delivered, decant my own gallons . Could I save money? Has anyone out there done this?

I ran straight 30 weight, from a 55 gal drum, and greased my tips daily, saved me mad $.....one of my guys refused to do it, but did mix my oil with my bar oil 1/2 and 1/2, either way we kept costs down, i bought my drum off a delivery guy for 100 bucks cash...off the back of the truck special, went to harbor freight and got a pump for 20 something bucks and went to town...check with the bulk fuel/oil delivery co's in town

I really like their Motion lotion ( Funny name, I had a lady from customs call and ask me why a logging company was importing 100 gallons of hand lotion:lol:) When I order stuff from Bailey's, I have them fill the empty space on the pallet with bar oil.
That way I don't pay freight on it, and I resell some to other fallers here, since it is a better quality than what we can get here.

At least they thought it was hand lotion, and not the other kind of motion lotion! :lol:

Gary

I don't know if you can still buy so called rerefined oil any more or not .What it actually is is filtered oil trough a centrifuge .Oil never really breaks down it just becomes contaminated .

None the less it's very very few people who would buy oil by the drum .That barrel the oil comes in although basically a big tin can is not free .

A logger I worked for, good friend, told me after I asked him why he used diesel crank case draining for bar oil. It's so damn messy. He told me, "Jer, if it's good enough for 16 to one diesel engine, its good enough for bar oil. Oh, yuck. He's a Swede, but black with those old drains. Everything he has is black with it. Oh..... I could go on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay Ger ... wasn't gonna post this but, well .... A buddy of mine who used to work with me is curently running used 90 weight gearbox oil from ski area chairlifts as bar oil... F'n stinks ... can smell it on his clothes well after... I told him that his boss really isn't saving any money

I always poke my oar in here... Bda prices $21 per gallon for Stihl oil.
I'm still using a case of Husqvarna oil I got for $10 a gallon.

One of my competitors buys a drum of diesel lube oil, uses it in his trucks, machines and saws...he does landscape installation as well so they have lots of big machines to put oil in, saws probably use the smallest amount.

At least they thought it was hand lotion, and not the other kind of motion lotion! :lol:

Gary

Oil thread!
munchstretchcouch2.gif

The junk in the white bottle is CRAP! YUCK! It's the only bar oil I have ever bought and thrown away rather than use it. The Poulan oil is good but it's over $8 per gallon now. Been using oil from TSC for over 2 years now.

I agree that it's not great, but it does the job well enough. Like wee Willie, I've been using it for years.

If you're already in Wal Mart looking at the crappy Super Tech recycled bar oil in the automotive isle, why not walk two isles over to the garden center and get the Poulan oil for the exact same price? I can't imagine how anybody could buy that crap twice when a much better option is right there next to you for the same price.

Wow, Wal Mart sells products for the same purpose in different isles. It must be tough to navigate that store.

I still have yet to experience the Wal Mart phenomenon. Sometimes I look at photos, though, to remember what America is like.

Yeah but it's a big roof I get lost .They should give you a road map or a GPS coordidant for the techno weanies so you can find stuff .

What the bar-b-q grills in one end of a giant building and the repair parts for same in the other ? You can walk yourself to death at that place before you find anything .

It's either a piss poor store lay out or they do things odd here in the middle of a giant corn field .Pshaw I send Mrs Smith on the hunt if I want anything .She can't walk too good so she rides hither and yon on one of those scooters they provide .The old gal can find stuff I can't .

If you're already in Wal Mart looking at the crappy Super Tech recycled bar oil in the automotive isle, why not walk two isles over to the garden center and get the Poulan oil for the exact same price? I can't imagine how anybody could buy that crap twice when a much better option is right there next to you for the same price.

Sometimes they have one and not the other. I cut plenty of big nasty trees and see no difference. I also worked for an outfit once that ran used engine oil. Yes the saws were black but otherwise no worse for wear.

On the way back from tree work in Michigan last summer I hit a sale at Menards.
I was able to pick up about twenty gallons with the equipment in the back of the truck.
Cost me just over $5/gal and I sold four gallons to another tree guy in the area for $7/gal..
Still have three left... guess I'll check the TSC sale.

Sometimes they have one and not the other. I cut plenty of big nasty trees and see no difference. I also worked for an outfit once that ran used engine oil. Yes the saws were black but otherwise no worse for wear.

The other way around doesn't work too good!

Since fallers can deduct bar oil here, one guy I worked with decided to use it in his car.
That didn't last long.

Back