Bad chainsaw habits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My pet peeve is catching guys looking down the cut with their face directly behind the bar/chain.

Wow. You just nailed my early career flirt with death.

I'll have to find the appropriate thread to post my story about it.

Watching someone smoke a bar with a dull chain is the worst.

Drop start. I don't think I've ever started a saw any other way. How about the rear handle only full throttle start? Way worse than the good old drop start.
I hate giving someone a sharp saw, and seeing it come back to the shop looking like they tried to cut blacktop with it. . .

Not everyone doing it is completely incognizant of what is happening when cutting with a dull chain, some people are just like about four hours slow in their doing anything about it.

That's the second time you've mentioned getting smacked for poor practices. Are you being serious? Because when you do say this, I imagine where you're at -looks like Hogwarts and a Catholic nun hitting you with a yard stick....

:lol: I've never heard of such a thing! I guess that's Montana for ya..... BIG SKY

I use the willow switch, too, on occasion.
Great teaching tool.

I start most saws with them under right leg/thigh. Pinched there and line going thru center of hole make it last for ever.
It also makes sure you don't pull too far and break anything. A big + when using longer bars.
No risk of dipping bar and get to file again... No risk of saw flipping over in air infront of me as it happened to backfire in the pull..
No janking or twisting that throws back out. I work with saws and have a bad back... I need to do it right...
Some saws that have issues you tend to pull a bit until you figure out were the hickup is...
Doing that by throwing or on ground would be impossible for me most time.

I'm with you Magnus on that. Its not really crotch starting. I can do it while walking, just like a person may while drop starting, with that extra little half-step kinda thing. Long bars I tend to ground start when cold, as I usually idle them a bit to warm them, so why hold a heavy saw.

From the 1st Jan 2015 it is mandatory to get a chainsaw certificate to run saws here.
To pass the curse you must master the art of using a saw safely.
Dropstarting saws is a big no no as you do movements that you have no control over.

Certificate is graded in sections.
A Handling a saw.
B Basic felling.
C Advanced felling.
S Damaged trees (storm work etc)
D Power line work.
E Suspended work Lift/cranes, climbing etc.
F Rescue work.
RA Clearingsaw work Basic.
RB Clearing saw work in forestry.

42 732 of these are sold up to today....

No, I have not taken it.

From the 1st Jan 2015 it is mandatory to get a chainsaw certificate to run saws here.
To pass the CURSE you must master the art of using a saw safely.

Magnus, I'm sure that was a spelling error, but it sure was a good one.

To pass the curse you must master the art of using a saw safely.
Dropstarting saws is a big no no as you do movements that you have no control over.

Is it legal for climbers to start their own saws in Sweden?:D

We have had something similar for years.
Completely ridiculous for loggers and other pro users. Probably a good idea for those who only use a saw on occasion.
I have always told my apprentices: " Go do as they tell you and keep your mouth shut. Once you have the certificate, forget everything they told you and go back to doing things efficiently and safely at the same time".

Interesting post about the 2015 certification -good to see whats happening with the industry.

thanks for that magnus.

In training for line clearance we were taught to rest the bar of the saw in a crotch while starting when aloft.

The safety officers & big shots who roamed around inspecting crews must have gotten really bored watching us all do everything "to the book' and very little production happening.:lol: Everyone knew the game and things got back to getting done as soon as they were out of sight. ;):|:

Back