BackBone Knotless Rigging Connector

Jack

Treehouser
INTERESTING -- thoughts, opinions, comments :?

BackBone Knotless Rigging Connector by SherrillTree

400_35174.jpg

I'm not seeing a weight rating. That is the very first thing I want to know before any further discussion is warranted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brian, click on the "Specifications and Instructions" tab in the linked page.

Just another unnecessary tool to make rigging more complex than it needs to be. I mean really, who is going to use that thing as they have it pictured.

Might be nice to twirl in your hand when talking to an irate customer :lol:

I like toys, playing around, and making things more complicated just for fun and there is NO WAY I would ever get that thing. Maybe it's because it's from Sherrill but I think it is foolish to use something like that for negative rigging. I think that is just asking to cut ropes.

Good point, Eric! I does look like a rope cutter at rigging loads ... for sure. ;)

Now if Treestuff or Wespur sold that thing for about $35, I would probably get one. It would be fun to play with in light rigging situations when I want to over complicate things. Seriously, I bet someone will come up with at least one useful application for it.

I tie running bowlines as fast as most men would twist the lock on a screw lock biner. For that reason, I tie a knot and make the cut.

I can see the value in knotless rigging in certain applications. But that device looks like it's not really bringing anything new to the table.

I WOULD see value in using it at the base of the tree as a mini lowering device for those trees when a lot of the lowering is beyond what I could hold by hand, but not quite big enough to need the heft of the portawrap. I've used figure 8 lowering deviced for this purpose in the past, but you have to keep clipping and unclipping to install the rope. This dogbone thing would be super fast to ready the rope.

Im sure we all could find a use for it, but I would never use it as they have illustrated. I'd use it as a lightweight friction device before I would an attachment point.

I didn't notice this picture before, and I hate to say it, but for groundies that can't untie a knot to save their life, this application has some merit...

400_35174-6.jpg

More importantly...

I've been staring at that picture for about 5 minutes now...I think it's wrong. I think they way they have it shown isn't possible. The overall function is possible and makes sense, but I think if you spliced that hunk of metal on the end of a rope, then passed a bight through the loop as shown, the sided of the bites would end up on the other side of the little side arms that stick out....

I might lose sleep over this. I need to set it up to see if I'm right or wrong.

Another steel biner vote here.

Looks like it has the potential to get hung up on small branches too.

I like seeing the push for some innovation though. Maybe we'll see some weird idea branch off that thing that seems more useful.

Gotta agree with Nick, Nick. :lol::lol::lol:

400_35174-6.jpg

Seriously, if you pull the bite through the eye, then pulled the sides of the bite over the "T's", it would look like the pic.

I tie running bowlines as fast as most men would twist the lock on a screw lock biner. For that reason, I tie a knot and make the cut.

I'm with Chris on this one bowlines beat biners & backbones every time. ;)
I started this thread just to get comments on an interesting development that some one spent a lot of time to develop ... more power to them. :)
It IS interesting ... But, seriously? You could buy at least three proper steel biners for the price of that thing. :roll:

Still though, it would be fun to play with for awhile, then hang on the wall and make people ask: "WTF is that? :lol:

Back