August Hunicke Videos

Reg, what threads have you participated in, apart from the " loooooooook at Reg coates, isn't he wonderful" threads?

For starters Stig, theres no thread here or on any other forum started by me that says "R eg Coates" in it. And the focus is generally on the job, situation or techniques. I'm fortunate that I get interesting jobs, and people generally appreciate me sharing the experience. I chip in elsewhere when I can, if Ive got something to say that I think is of value. Some people say a lot that means very little. Ive exactly not overly vocal at work either. But jobs done, in time. No BS

And Id like to point out also. I'm not saying any of this with tone, malice or attacking nature. I'm in between eating an omelette, fighting off pneumonia and trying not to get irritated by the chaos in the other room. Its just another sunday

Butch, you haven't answered my question.
Are you going to, or is this just going to be another of those things you throw out and never take any responsibility for?

I respect your advice and opinion Reg. I have felt attacked by you at times but during those times I have reminded myself of your good sense and objective advice.
Your opinion means a lot to me. Too much even probably.
I purposely restrained from commenting so much on your videos because you rarely acknowledged them so I assumed. And I shouldn't have assumed. That you preferred private communication.

As to Jerry's video and to a lack of appearance generally speaking. I have already admitted to being self absorbed. But, that's not the whole story.
I have also been working on it and made and scrapped several plans for it. I always want to make the next one better. Not always easy.
I could just throw the tape up there and it would be great but I want a quality package to go with his epic content. I want to walk the Navarro redwoods with him and bring a drone. That is only one detail of many different plans and ideas that I toss around for that project. And I have not mentioned it to him yet because then I will need to talk about an exact date and I'm wondering when that would be. I was working on it last week. I spent no doubt hundreds of hours on the first video.
On top of it, I have like you, stopped nearly all contract climbing and sunk tons of money and time into developing my own business. More bills, and entity change from a soul proprietorship to a corporation. Also, a project with Pfanner, that is at least as old as my effort for a Jerry series and I have yet to produce for them.
It will involve my wife as well as Lawrence and his girlfriend and traveling etc.
Then there is this speed line kit project which is a new arena. Then there is the belt project which is a new arena. Then there is the baby on the way.
When I say I have no plan, I mean I am literally just seeing what happens and making choices based on what opens up.
I am not efficient enough for all of the things I want to do.
Editing simple tree work videos that involve one project from start to finish is like therapy for me and when I begin to feel overwhelmed with the grand projects I want to complete I find myself pacifying my creative drive by making a quick video.
Those quick videos delay the completion of my bigger projects and are likely evidence of some selfish imbalance in me. I'm sorry.
No sarcasm, no energy for it. I'm just sorry.

Reg.
No worries, Mate.
I just got a bit pee'd off by your attitude towards August, is all.
So I decided to take a swing at you.

Testosterone, doing it's job, again.:)
No malice from here, either. Just me being my usual, assholish, confrontational self. ( Is assholish atually a word?)

Reg.
No worries, Mate.
I just got a bit pee'd off by your attitude towards August, is all.
So I decided to take a swing at you.

Testosterone, doing it's job, again.:)
No malice from here, either. Just me being my usual, assholish, confrontational self. ( Is assholish atually a word?)

Take a swing anytime. I'm completely at home with all that :D If I can answer I will....if not, youll get some of these, be warned :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Reg, afaik, you are second to nobody in the trees. And that taken together with your innovations in treeework techniques, tree gear, and video creations and innovations, anybody who is paying attention knows what you have originally authored. Imitators will always follow, that is the way of the universe. Nature abhors a vacuum.

I feel Reg and August, they both do their own thing re vids, they have very different approaches for the most part. But we viewers are all the better for their creations. The single biggest reason we are all here is because we freakin love trees and tree work. Well, who knows why Big Jim is here, but thank goodness he is too...

So I think it's all good. We all have our opinions and preferences, we are all morphing each and every day, we are all on this journey now, togherher, like it or not!

An epic video would be an August production of Reg doing a difficult tree and Jed doing the commentary.

Now if it could be concluded with the spar pegging Stig....

I'll second that, Cory.
If we had to have a stupid Montana farmer as a member, thank Thor we got Jim.
No-one else in Montana would have worked out as well for us.

Butch, don't get your undies in a wad.
Jim and I correspond a lot privately, so he knows I'm just F-ing with him, here:D

An epic video would be an August production of Reg doing a difficult tree and Jed doing the commentary.

Now if it could be concluded with the spar pegging Stig....

Whoah, you're on to something there!!:thumbup:

I respect your advice and opinion Reg. I have felt attacked by you at times but during those times I have reminded myself of your good sense and objective advice.
Your opinion means a lot to me. Too much even probably.
I purposely restrained from commenting so much on your videos because you rarely acknowledged them so I assumed. And I shouldn't have assumed. That you preferred private communication.

As to Jerry's video and to a lack of appearance generally speaking. I have already admitted to being self absorbed. But, that's not the whole story.
I have also been working on it and made and scrapped several plans for it. I always want to make the next one better. Not always easy.
I could just throw the tape up there and it would be great but I want a quality package to go with his epic content. I want to walk the Navarro redwoods with him and bring a drone. That is only one detail of many different plans and ideas that I toss around for that project. And I have not mentioned it to him yet because then I will need to talk about an exact date and I'm wondering when that would be. I was working on it last week. I spent no doubt hundreds of hours on the first video.
On top of it, I have like you, stopped nearly all contract climbing and sunk tons of money and time into developing my own business. More bills, and entity change from a soul proprietorship to a corporation. Also, a project with Pfanner, that is at least as old as my effort for a Jerry series and I have yet to produce for them.
It will involve my wife as well as Lawrence and his girlfriend and traveling etc.
Then there is this speed line kit project which is a new arena. Then there is the belt project which is a new arena. Then there is the baby on the way.
When I say I have no plan, I mean I am literally just seeing what happens and making choices based on what opens up.
I am not efficient enough for all of the things I want to do.
Editing simple tree work videos that involve one project from start to finish is like therapy for me and when I begin to feel overwhelmed with the grand projects I want to complete I find myself pacifying my creative drive by making a quick video.
Those quick videos delay the completion of my bigger projects and are likely evidence of some selfish imbalance in me. I'm sorry.
No sarcasm, no energy for it. I'm just sorry.

When have I attacked you ? And why would I. What you do with your life doesn't effect me. I'm not about to make a zipline kit or anything like that. If I had any influence on you re-editing that last video then I'm glad....for your sakes and anyone else watching. If I had a hidden agenda Id have just told you how awesome it was and helped you spread it around. Remember when you were contemplating a video to poke fun and the anti one-handling a saw establishment. Who talked you out of it ? I could've just given you enough rope to hang yourself, if Id wanted to. It should be said too that there can be a cultural divide in how we communicate....between Europe and the Americas. Thats not an excuse or justification for every disagreement or conflicting opinions....but admittedly it may have lost me a few jobs here in Victoria :)

Yep, I came for the chain saws and never left because of the people here.

I did figure out how to sharpen a saw chain the other day. So now I have a sharp saw and a pair of spurs. Get me a tree saddle and a lariat rope and I will be in business!

It should be said too that there can be a cultural divide in how we communicate....between Europe and the Americas.

For sure.
That has gotten me in trouble here a few times.
Seems like there was a lot of past interaction between you and August that I wasn't aware of.

You might keep that in mind when reading my posts in this thread.

I choose my words very carefully. I said I have "felt" attacked by you at times.
I said it that way to leave room for me being wrong. I want to be wrong. I know you have given me great advice and I if I am being a self absorbed waste of oxygen I will be indebted to you and Benn forever for shaking me out of it.

My respect of you is what makes being called the most vain person in the entire industry carry so much weight. I don't think it's true but I think it's true enough for me to listen to and grow from.
I have had many people be trollish and mean on the Internet and never pause from my bite of the omelette. I am being transparent. I have only pride to lose and everything to gain.

Back