Atlanta Folks

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Are y'all gearing up for a nasty ice storm?? ChaChing:)

Or are you waiting to see what happens cuz you never know with the weather.

From what I hear, the area is better prepared than it was 2 weeks ago, more or less nobody allowed on the roads. Which makes a lot of sense given there is essentially no snow removal equipment.

Give us reports from the epicenter.

I hate to think what it'll do to some of our huge old hardwoods but like you said big money. We're ready to roll

Just cold rain today...the big hit is supposed to be tomorrow. Probable ice accumulations are going to be the problem. The potential for a big mess is definitely here...we'll see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you surprised they didn't shut the city down prior to the snow storm a couple weeks ago? Shutting everything down is harsh but it is less harsh than letting things get paralyzed. Were peeps up in arms at the powers that be for letting things get paralyzed? Or was the storm a surprise storm?

The weather channel is forecasting up to 1" of ice on the southern snow boundary and 8-12" of snow accumulation possible!
If 2" of snow shut it down last time, I can't even imagine what 1" of ice could do, much less 12" of snow!
Several states have declared a state of emergency and it hasn't even started snowing yet!
Good luck to all of you stuck in this mess.

Im dying for a good natural disaster. Hurricane Sandy just tickled me silly. No ones lives were ruined by it around me though. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I saw peoples lives going down the toilet in front of me. Here, trees just smashed houses, and insurance companies bought people new roofs and porches and cars. The one thing that rattled me was taking this fella off a house and seeing where a 5" diameter limb speared through the wall and missed spearing through a little girls head by 2 or 3 inches.

We just got .4" of ice and it wreaked havoc on the pines. The last bad ice storm we had close to an inch I think, it looked like a warzone here. Every tree had damage, most severe. Crushed cars and homes, roads blocked by huge trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were bombed with snow recently, number of deaths and injuries, and I didn't see one tree come down, not even a limb. WTF?

Nobody can handle ice .We could handle probabley 10 inchs of snow .Poor old Atlanta is not in the snow belt and likely ill equipted for a major snowfall ice or not .I doubt seriously if the general population fares well driving in the stuff if they have to .Major mess no way out of it .

I am on a local Dive Team...search, rescue, recovery for water and land. They have called in our dive team for 7AM muster to help with transport/trees on roads, etc. I"ll be packing my 290/20" bar and assorted paraphernalia when I show up.

Ha! There's your sign! Headed out now...stuff started sticking about 40 minutes ago..starting to whiten with ice.

Good luck Gary. We made it out of the storm with out the tones dropping, pretty lucky. We responded to a possible structure fire a couple of winters ago with the power lines and poles snapping and falling over the hiway as we passed them. Took a long time to get back to the firehouse.

We have been covering the south side of county for trees in road. Cut up one forty footer pine uprooted and blocking road. Had several sets of pine limbs drooping down into roadway . We threw a rope up and choked limb. Used truck to bust limbs out of tree. Crude but works. Back at 911 center now waiting for next task

Sounds dangerous out there, be careful.

He makes Chuck Norris mess his pants.

Ha! Chuck does look funny in Pampers.

Nah...wasn't bad. Biggest worry was becoming a "struck by" from a passing car. We made sure the truck was between us and the most likely direction of foolishness from folks driving too fast.

It was kind of funny when we got tasked to a tree down in the road and a firetruck pulled up just in front of us. Three FF's jumped out grabbed parts of the tree and pulled like mad...stopped, looked at each other like WTF? and then realized it was still attached to the stump that was twisted loose from the bank (covered in brush)...with all the stuff broken off it just looked like a 20 foot top, no problem for them normally. Herb (my partner) walked up with a Husky and sliced and diced and we all had it clear in about 5 minutes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bBa0blUoE8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Gary, Thanks a lot! I was already hurting like Hell, now i hurt even more from laughing so damn hard!

Back