anyone near Lowell, Massachusetts ??

PCTREE

Treehouser
Bought a car off of ebay and was just going to have it shipped here but am getting a little sketched out by the deal. Any body near enough to check out if its legit??

I'm about an hour from Lowell shoot me the details Paul. I can't make it up there today, maybe tomorrow, Monday for sure.

And let me know if I should be carrying or not. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK so heres the deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261352391227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I won this auction and really want the car but the guy who says he owns it is in Arizona and wants me to transfer $8K to his bank account then the shop will release the car and he will send the title. Im starting to think maybe I should fly up with the cash and give the shop the cash and drive it home (but I hate traveling). I will call the shop Monday and talk to them and make sure the car is actually there and then decide how to proceed. I was going to have the car shipped down but Im getting a funny feeling about this. Another thing is the description on the auction is basically copy and pasted from the shops website, shop specializes in converting gas VWs into diesels. Could be on the up and up but I don't want to be stupid!

I'd call too. That's weird the guy is in AZ and says don't call the shop in Lowell. I google'd around and it looks like a reputable VW shop.

Keep me in the loop I'm off until Jan 2!

The guy has good feedback. Do it through PayPal cause that gives you some protection

Al, they stopped making passats in diesels in 97 then did a couple of years in like 2003-05 but with the 2.0 diesel which had problems. This is a VR6 gasser with all the bells and whistles but with a built and freshened 1.9 dropped in. Its a pretty big station wagon that is fun to drive and still gets in the 40-50MPG range. Wife wanted a mini van but I cannot stomach milage in the teens. Its probably not a "good deal" but I love these cars. The body has 130K miles on it and the motor should run 4-500K miles. Wife drives a bunch so with good mileage and I will throw on a bypass filter so will only need to change the oil once a year it will be cheap to run. The body will fall apart before the drivetrain has any issues…

FWIW I drive a 2000 Jetta TDI and recently drove down to Charlotte and back with the car literally loaded to the roof, 600 odd miles and I got 61.45MPG. Everybody has their thing and mine is efficiency.

A friend of mine had one of those wagons. I borrowed it for a few days once and found it to be a lot of fun to drive. Good cars.

BIG thanks to Adam P. He helped me out big time today, picked me up at boston airport and drove me to pickup the car. Saved my ass !!

Drove the car the 600 miles home and it drives like a champ, super nice highway car with plenty of power and pretty comfy to boot. Got 44 mpg and I wasn't going easy by any stretch, need to make a few aero mods and will get her in the high 40s easy. Im sure to most folks its not a good deal but Im really happy with it, hope the Mrs is!!

Back