Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

I know that those pinto pulleys are strong and all but anyone using them for life support off the bottom of the HH carabiner needs to be aware that it is like side loading a carabiner. Because when force is applied the outward slope on the carabiner at that angle is forcing the pulley sides out at an angle it was definitely not tested for.

interesting thought , defiantly something to consider when using those type of configurations

I see no harm in using it in the above configuration as its a secondary system.

Here's my new favorite hitch. It's the same HH hitch except instead of running the last leg over the first, u run it under. Less fighting of the hitch to get off the ground, doesn't bind on descent, and grabs well since both legs are now captured it doesn't have to be tied super tight which makes slack tending easier. It's tied loose for the pic. When weighted the top wrap will fold down into a braid.
View attachment 59337
View attachment 59338

I tie my HH cord the same way often, but only on certain ropes. And usually ropes that are not broken in. Once they are a tad fuzzy, the under leg is not really all that necessary.

Those Pintos come with (or at least, offer as an option?) an insert to keep the side plates from being squeezed, do they not?

It is a fight for me, or as maybe David said "fiddly", to get my (non-pinto) pulley and ring on the biner. Extra hard with the spacer inserted, I'd bet. Could be my ring and pulley combo contributing. With the spacer and the ring and the biner, the rope might rub. Smaller ropes less of a problem, I suspect.

Climbing Technology Fixed Pulley
http://www.treestuff.com/store/images/products/7987.jpg

I hear that...my modded micro rescue pulley, and the ring I've mounted on my Sequoia bridge, are some bit fiddly to deal with, for sure.

Those Pintos come with (or at least, offer as an option?) an insert to keep the side plates from being squeezed, do they not?

Yes they do. But I'm talking about an outward force. When folks are using the pinto on their bridge ring for slack tending the HH there is not enough load applied to matter. However if they clip into the becket for DdRT there is plenty of force potential. This force is not trying to squeeze the side plates inward or together but outward because the pulley is riding on the outside of the carabiner in that configuration.

For those of you having trouble getting the pulley and ring to stay aligned while clipping in the carabiner, there is a trick. I have only tried this on the fix style pulleys so this might only work with them. Put the pulley in a vice and carefully squeeze the side plates together until they need to be forced onto the bridge ring. Because of their weird shape they will then actually snap onto the ring if you get it right. This lets you setup the HH and with it hanging on the rope, you capture the rope in the pulley and snap it on the bridge ring and it will stay there. With it clipped onto the ring it is an easy job to grab the HH carabiner and clip it through both. I hope that made sense because it really is much easier.

I always thought it would be neat to have something that has a tending pulley on the front and a tending tether at the back for the HH. The roundness of the biner make it challenging to get the right shape, just as DMc described. too bad there isn't a larger size of oval carabiner.

Here is my latest config.
When it warms up a bit I will get some more time on it.

Just want to build a UHMW plastic roller for the swivel pin to give a larger bend rad to the bridge.

Burnham, What Dave was trying to point out.

If my pulley had a becket, and you loaded it the biner is trying to spread the pulley cheeks.
When configured as a tending pulley.

I hope this doesn't offend any one........................ But I played on the wrench today and really really enjoyed it:)
Got a new rope (kern safari) and it's like the rope was made for the wrench, beeline was wonderful to.
I love my HH but I'll be playing with this for a while I think.
image.jpg

Wow! That is some fancy rope. The RW is a great tool, smooth and simple. It has a strong following for a good reason. After using the HH though I got spoiled with not having anything along side or above my hitch. I also found after adding the pulley under the HH that they were equal in slack tending smoothness but I could generally get the HH set shorter and with less setback. Then there is the rope bending of the the RW that can alter how things feel by how much weight is on the tail of the rope.

Thanks for that answer, Paul. Much appreciated. By the way, I'm an owner of the Hitch Hiker. Great product, amazing idea. How you ever made that leap of the imagination is beyond me. Thanks for fighting the good fight, and getting it into the hands of all of us.

Tim

Wow! That is some fancy rope. The RW is a great tool, smooth and simple. It has a strong following for a good reason. After using the HH though I got spoiled with not having anything along side or above my hitch. I also found after adding the pulley under the HH that they were equal in slack tending smoothness but I could generally get the HH set shorter and with less setback. Then there is the rope bending of the the RW that can alter how things feel by how much weight is on the tail of the rope.

TBH I think it's just the novelty of feeling something different, I'm sure I'll find out in a couple of weeks why I put it in the kit bag and never used anything but a HH for a year. I'll just enjoy the moment :)

Back