Another Newb question. Line weighting?

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
Sorry if I'm getting old asking dumb questions about your preferences on gear and what not. But I have a question regarding weighting the line on an SRT set up so that my unicenders hooked up to a neck tether will continue to self feed. I've been having my fiancé hold the rope until I make the ascent. Then I tried coiling all my slack up and tying it so that it hang about a foot off the ground. She still needed to hold it for a good bit. It's 13mm arbor master so I understand that it's the largest rope the uni will take so it will therefore have more problems tending slack. Should I buy another climbing line around 11mm prod you guys have any tricks that doesn't require someone on the ground to move a weight off it?

Again thanks you guys, this site has been a great help to me as I begin my learning with rope climbing. Wish I had a mentor around so I didn't have to bother you guys as much but your my mentor as I'm an entrepreneur in a town with no other companies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The saw is a good idea. I don't think a throw weight will work. This is 200' of brand new arborMaster rope. I was prolly only 40 foot up so let say there was 115 ft coiled a foot above the ground and it still took me getting 15 ft up for the uni to tend.between that and the rope popping out of the pantin I was a little frustrated by the end of the day swinging around having the HO say "while your there..." over and over again.

I've also used a plastic covered barbell weight with a loop of cord run through the hole. Another loop of cord as a prussic around the climbing line and a 'biner or snap to connect the two loops.

Some more practice with your panitin will help as well. I also like to try and establish a bounce rhythm on the arbor master with SRT...
It's great rope.. There are better for SRT, but it works fine for me.
Question...
Is that the newer generation Pantin? If so, 13mm rope is a tad tight for it and can be some of your grief.

...But I have a question regarding weighting the line on an SRT set up so that my unicenders hooked up to a neck tether will continue to self feed....

I'm a noob so excuse me if I'm missing the obvious. What climbing system are you using? I'm having a hard time thinking of a way the rope is not weighted with your weight below the unicender as you stand to advance it.

Ya my pantin is the new gen. But I'm using the micro frog from sherrill tree but have been resorting to using just the hand ascender with the foot strap because the panting keeps popping the rope free and it gets frustrating stopping to put it back on the rope 4 times in a 40 ft climb. A little more time in it and I'll bet I can get the rhythm down. Starting Monday I'll be in my gear all day everyday, just contracted out to a company from another city that takes care of the electric associations tree work. So between that and all the jobs I have lined up ill be a busy man for quite some time

A stiff weighted line can also cause the pantin too kick out if it's not aligned properly. Practice your step and foot position.
J8)

Jake, I was reading a little on it... Sounds like it works better if the toe is pointed down a little and shorter strides? Any other tips?

Awesome thanks. I'm also hoping the new tree motion saddle that should be here tomorrow helps position me a little better than my old weaver saddle that is trying to take my jewels when I turn in the saddle.

Hopefully so. Saddles are as personal as the things they hold and squish. You just have to find one that fits your style and body type. And obviously one that adjusts appropriately to achieve that.

Back