Another dumb idea...

So Brent you want the engine with 725,000miles?

Lol, I'm guessing that's a mis-print.

90' with unknown structural problems. Sounds..............exhilirating!

It looks more like a 3208! The boom would likely be condemed up here! Save your money Paul! IMO

Boom looks unusable and the picture of the odometer shows 725K miles. I'm guessing the grease and oil held the motor together but the guy selling it did a nice job cleaning it up. I'm having a hard time figuring out what would actually be usable on that rig.

The boom is from 1962. Even if you welded the cracks expertly, you'd still have to have the entire structure x-ray'd.

Fook dat.

If I'm not mistaken they won't even work on booms that are over 25 years old or at least not a bone-fide certification business .

With Hi-Ranger you can get the parts but nobody will install them if after so old .A set of cables for example is a tad over a thousand bucks . The big bearing on the turn table is like 3 grand .To rebush the main pin requires a machine shop capable of line boring that large of a part plus 1800 bucks for the new over sized pin with matching bronze bushings .On it goes ,not worth the hastle or taking the chance of a boom failure on a piece of equipment that could take someones life .

Seldom does anyone survive a boom failure .I know of one personally and have made posts about others who were not so lucky .

Let me rephrase what I've said .It's not that you will not be able to find somebody to do the work or you could do it yourself .More so no authorized company who can recertify booms will do any work on them .That being the case insurance companies most likely have provisions stating a disclaimer and therefore the liabilty would rest on the equipment owner .

Even in the best scenario with a boom failure where nobody gets injured or killed the property damage could bankrupt the average tree service company or independent operator .

No need to sell it for scrap. Places like Sri Lanka are falling over themselves for used equipment like that. They are crafty at making parts. I know a guy who knows a guy who will buy almost anything.

No need to sell it for scrap. Places like Sri Lanka are falling over themselves for used equipment like that. They are crafty at making parts.

Kinda like those folks in Afghanistan (?) who make guns from scratch..

Kinda like those folks in Afghanistan (?) who make guns from scratch..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGVianQJsmQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGVianQJsmQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back