Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest

BOTS

TreeHouser
A must see! Dont pass it up if you in Cali!

We camped at Grand View camp ground at about 9000ft elevation, this pic is looking East toward death valley/Nevada from CG

This is looking West at the high sierra's....our elevation around 11,000ft

The Schulman Grove trailhead starts at the visitor center at 10K and takes you 4.5 mile loop through Bristlecone groves

I never pass it by without visiting, if im driving on 395.
It is such an out of this world place.

It is amazing that the bare wood doesn't get sun bleached. Even after centuries of exposure.

Bristlecone forests are amazing. I worked in one on a trail building project out into a wilderness area in the Spring Mountains outside of Las Vegas, NV. Wild place. The Great Basin was a big lake, Lake Manly, once upon a time. As the lake dried up, speciation occurred, meaning that a lot of distinct species evolved in population islands up on mountain tops with no way for genes to pass between (you know, like a fish in one stream can't get genes into another stream 100 miles away, in another watershed, ex. Desert Dace, Death Valley NP).

We were effectively dry camping, and half of the crew would make water runs each day for half the day or so, 4 miles up and 4000' elevation gain, at around 8000' at the new trail extension.

We were told by our US Forest Service project partner not to 'impact the resource' of the desert spring cascading down the wall on the trail. Impact from gathering 30 gallons a day on endangered plants in the little wet area. On day 3, we said screw it. On Day 6 the FS rep came up and said he had to tell us not to treat and drink the water, but hoped we would anyway.

I visited the bristlecone White Mt grove way back in 1969 or so. Methuselah, the oldest, which is no longer marked to preserve it as best possible, was then. Wish I had a camera!! Amazing trees!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks all for looking,

Heres a few more pics from Schulman grove trail

Baby Bristle, cute Lil' fella

Only one way to see....

Fantastic pictures of a magical place.

We camped outside Bishop near some Bristlecones under the full moon,
we watched a mountain lion walk down from the ridge.

395 is Golden.

I visited the bristlecone White Mt grove way back in 1969 or so. Methuselah, the oldest, which is no longer marked to preserve it as best possible, was then. Wish I had a camera!! Amazing trees!

....have heard there is one even older, not marked... still alive

Back