Amsteel

flushcut

TreeHouser
Who out there in Da House is using this stuff to pull trees over and how do you attach it to the tree?
I have a medium clearing job coming up in spring and the trees are not big just a lot of them, and I bought some 3/16 amsteel to use as a throw line/pull line. (I wanted a little more beef than just a throw line for the pulling and swapping it out for a rope will add time and eat up potential profit .) I spliced both ends and was thinking of just running up a biner to choke the stems. Good idea bad idea........?

The biner isn't a bad idea, although I would likely tie it off at the bottom to save isolating a crotch. Feller unties/unhooks the rope and the puller gets if free and on to the next tree.

My first post. Hi everyone. Tried a couple of the other sites but...... Anyway, we have been using synthetic winch line for some time now and will never go back to steel. It doesn't kink or get caught up in the winch drum (cat's ass). It is surprisingly durable. That said you have to exercise some caution as far as rubbing it on another tree when doing a long pull. You can splice it and tie knots. Also it is amazingly strong. Folks that have never used it don't believe their eyes. We run 7/16th's up to 9/16th's. Expensive? Yes. But it lasts longer than steel. Much easier to pull. We were able to fit 600 feet on the winch on our cat skidder!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The biner isn't a bad idea, although I would likely tie it off at the bottom to save isolating a crotch. Feller unties/unhooks the rope and the puller gets if free and on to the next tree.

Ding ding we have a winner! I forgot about that. Thanks!

A shackle would be better, besides the bottom tie option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My first post. Hi everyone. Tried a couple of the other sites but...... Anyway, we have been using synthetic winch line for some time now and will never go back to steel. It doesn't kink or get caught up in the winch drum (cat's ass). It is surprisingly durable. That said you have to exercise some caution as far as rubbing it on another tree when doing a long pull. You can splice it and tie knots. Also it is amazingly strong. Folks that have never used it don't believe their eyes. We run 7/16th's up to 9/16th's. Expensive? Yes. But it lasts longer than steel. Much easier to pull. We were able to fit 600 feet on the winch on our cat skidder!

Welcome to The House!

What's up, Pat?

For Hard pulling at St Parks we wrapped the stem twice then used a jacked bowline/ double hole bowline to terminate to the portion of the strand coming out from the trunk.

Like friction on a bollard.

Once, when just choked with a RB (due to the situation of a failed tree on an island with limited equipment) and pulled with a little dozer, we broke 1/2" amsteel at the knot (granted, it was also the end that got worked a lot, as the other end had the thimble.

Amsteel is sweet, but doesn't like knots.

Yeah,I neglected to mention that the synthetic line will break at the knot. The good thing about that is it just slumps to the ground and doesn't try to smack you like steel.

Don't tie knots in Dyneema or Amsteel.
It reduces the strength by a ridicoulus amount.

QUOTE=old irish;631831]My first post. Hi everyone. Tried a couple of the other sites but...... [/QUOTE]
Me too Pat, these guys are the best. The biggest names in trees hang here, that speaks for itself. Welcome Pat, I'm Ray.

We pull over some monsters, we have eyes spliced in both ends of a hank of 5/8 or 3/4 amsteel, take a round turn or 2 on the trunk to take the load off the shackle. At the other end we usually hang a sling in the eye and triple block purchase back to GRCS or a big truck.
For small stuff we do like Carl only typically using 1/2" stable braid since we have it

Like Willie said, taking wraps around the trunk takes the load off the knot, making a knot termination (following the wraps) a viable option.

I've got some odd pieces of 3/8 Amsteel and was thinking of making some ring to ring friction savers out of it with a chafe sleeve over it. Anyone ever use it for that?

Climbing. I know the 3/8 is plenty strong with an ABS around 18,000. I also know the melting point is pretty low but I didn't see that as a problem in this application. What do you think Nick, or anyone else who has an opinion?

Back