Amazon, good or bad?

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Quick question guys. Looking into a new couch for the basement. I'll be moving down into our basement soon once we get the new tile layed down and walls painted. Heard some good things about Amazon for couches, like good deals on good products, etc. I've bought a few small things from them but never anything this size, let alone anything this size offline. Just curious if anyone here has experience with stuff like this, and if its a good or bad idea buying something like this offline. Thanks

I've always had a good result purchasing from Amazon. I think the last thing I bought was some molasses, turned out to be sticky! For a young buck as yourself, Adrian, the couch does require some careful consideration. Good luck!

I would want to see and feel a couch in person before buying one. Especially if you're going to be living in Mom's basement, then it's a fair guess that comfort will be a much higher priority than style. Also, delivering a couch over long distances could easily be as expensive as the cost of the couch. On Amazon they may try to hide that fact by overpricing the couch and offering a lowball shipping price but you're still paying a couple hundred dollars for shipping. I would shop locally for a very comfortable couch and then bring it home in my own truck.

Also, I have used Amazon for several years and generally had good luck as long as I stuck to items shipped by Amazon. I got ripped off twice by individuals selling crap through Amazon, once on a cell phone and once on a book. Both items were used and sold as new.

Also, just 2 days ago I had one of my credit card numbers hacked. It was a card I haven't used in over a year but the number was stored in my Amazon account profile. Bank of America fraud department called me, I told them it wasn't my charge no matter what it was and they said they would handle it. Not only did they cancel my card, but my Amazon account password was also blocked. When I went to buy something yesterday on Amazon I had to reset my password and they had deleted the Bank of America credit card number from my account. So therefore I have to assume that somebody thought my Amazon account was hacked.

So just be aware that although there's some good deals on Amazon, it's not all cookies and ice cream. Surf and shop carefully just as you would anywhere else. Scammers want to appear legitimate so they will attempt to use places like Amazon as a cover. My personal rule is that I only buy stuff from Amazon that is shipped by Amazon, no third party stuff.

Be careful of cheap couches, I have seen the way they are constructed, and though they might appear cosmetically good looking and also may feel comfortable, inside will often, or always, be pure crap made. I mean that they work ok, but you might very well be sitting in Tiajuana, a well known source of cheap upholstery, south of the border.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. Yeah, orinigally I was gonna shop around for a couch to look and feel it, but went browsing on amazon for the hell of it and came across some good looking deals, so I was just curious. And yeah, shipping is $0.95 per pound, so it'd be around $300 to ship the couch roughly.

A well made used couch that you had reupholstered and possibly repadded, would be much better than a cheap new couch. I suggest it, but thinking that you probably don't want to bother with that, unless you know someone in the upholstery business to advise.

A well made used couch that you had reupholstered and possibly repadded, would be much better than a cheap new couch. I suggest it, but thinking that you probably don't want to bother with that, unless you know someone in the upholstery business to advise. The nice thing about a redo is that you can pick the color and material, of which the choices are almost infinite.

I wouldn't buy a couch without having tried it out first.
Can't be a good couch potato on a too short couch.

When we upgraded our old one, that seemed like a magnet for dog hair, to a leather one, I went to 4 different stores and laid on all their couches before finding one that made me feel like a proper potato.

Back