alternatives in land use

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...I told her "you aint got one shittin problem that I cant solve with a cover crop!"...

Haha! The first step in the creation of life, capable of supporting a diverse and vibrant world, is the converting of light energy to chemical energy. Photosynthesis is what has made life as we know it possible.

Good to hear some farming stuff talked about here. I farmed for 27 years. Mostly dry beans, processing tomatoes, walnuts, apples and alfalfa. All irrigated. I did it until my money was all gone. The trend in California was for bigger farms so you can afford the GPS guided tractors and installing drip irrigation. Need some economy of scale to do that. The guy who is now farming what I did, has my place and about five others like it. All that he rents from absentee landlords.

I farmed for 27 years. .... I did it until my money was all gone

That's like when they asked the old logger what he'd do if he was given a million dollars..."Guess I'd keep logging till it all ran out"

Or, How do you make a million dollars in the trucking business? Start with 5 million.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H1xEvMTnKDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I visited this ranch in Mexico years ago with my pops. I was probably 10 0r 12. It was an incredible experience. While we were there they held a party were they buried a whole cow in coals and cooked the entire cow under ground.

Sounds like an amazing trip

Cool vid, nice to see good news. Interesting how the same techniques of rejuvenation and restoration keep coming up over and over again

Was it like that when you visited Kevin? Were they just getting started or had they been at it for a while?

There is a scientist from South America, cant recall his name. But he maintains that if you have 2 inches or 200 inches of rain you can get something to grow.

What we learned is that 75 percent of the moisture that an acre of land receives is lost to evaporation. So out of the 25 percent we can work with, we lose some of that to run off.

It really takes very little water to make land produce.

When we talk about "lush" vegetation we have to consider the location. The desert aint gonna look like Western Washington.

they were just getting into the cult at that time I beleive. thus the reason for our visit. I remember they took us out rabbit hunting and they also had a mesquite charcoal operation. its so isolated out there it was several hours on a washboard road. at that age whenever my dad started talking about cows, grass, or water, i would quickly tune out.

Ha, but now, its fascinating, right??8)

yes, but somehow he still suceeds in putting me to sleep with the subject. at this point its almost an automatic reflex. i watch 1 minute youtube videos on the subject instead

Interesting article. But anyway you cut it, China is a disaster area.

I don't have facts and figures to dispute that, but in general, afaik, usa has an immensely greater environmental awareness and respect than China. Certainly we make plenty of mistakes or arguably poor decisions. Certainly there are Chinese folks who understand that respect for the environment is a key component to quality of life. But in general, the overarching vibe I take from china (based on what I read and from talking to some folks who have visited there), China doesn't give a flying F about environmental issues unless they are bitten hard in the ass by them. Witness their legendary air pollution, the breakneck pace they are building coal fired power plants, the 3 Gorges Dam debacle, the entire cities they've built that are completely unoccupied. Maybe I am wrong but afaik, China is a cautionary tale for humans and planet Earth.

And, in true chinese fashion, it is a question of yin and yang- opposite qualities within the same being. In addition to the environmental atrocities they are know for, they also pioneered acupuncture, chinese herbal medicine, the gentle arts of nature appreciation.

So what, besides wring your hands and say sensational stuff, are you proposing we do about it?

Cheap food from what ever country you can get if from is not helping.

Political programs, insurance scams, politics in general. What?

If you keep forcing people to farm in a manner that is not in sync with nature because they cant compete with produce that other countries dump into the US, countries that burn down the rain forest, keep the banking system the way it is now, keep the middle man in his seat of power, keep the Farm Program ticking along with all its insurance implications.........what the heck do you want us to do?

Oh, sure. Blame everything on the farmer and climate change. Precisely the two things that you cant do anything about.

Like it or not, you as the consumer have some share in the blame.

Those poor bastards in China have probably forgotten more than I will ever know about farming. The old timers anyway. Shit, read anything put out by George Washington Carver.

He knew how to farm, but do you realize that if I were to farm like I should and do it the right way that I am breaking the F'ing law?

I was just 'having a drink' in respect to your two posts, they were good.

What exactly would you call that imojee? Ya know if you were in a bar and someone said something good or you said something you believed strongly in, immediately after it was said, a big drink from your glass would be had and then glass/mug set firmly back down, as if to say, 'absolutely' or 'I agree'

removing the grazers from the land is the worst thing you could do. the damage the chinese are doing now is damage we did 80 years ago. dust bowl. the amount of soil we flushed to the sea is phenomenal. I think what your doing Jim is about the best we can do. regardless of trump or Hillary, or politics. china or here, detroit or montana rebuilding soil is our only hope

Back