All round ground saw choice - 460 or 660?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont get me wrong, I lovve a 660, great saw. The one ive been using for the last 3 years is great, the dogs have fallen off though, but its a strong saw unmodded. Never had a 460, but im looking fwd to this one :)

I'll wager if you've liked a stock 660 for years than you'll be right impressed with a 460. Imo it's the best all around saw.

Congrats again. May it cut for you, long time.

Haha cheers man. I got a 20 inch bar with it, im thinking either an add on 28 or 32 to compliment it. Sugihara bars are cheaper than the stihl equivalent, and look just so damn good!

s-l1600.jpg

You jester :) $20 for a STIHL 3/8 chain 72 drivers .050 gauge full chisel full skip RSLFK 20 inch bar. Pretty cheap!

Lookin' good there...let us know how she does.

I don't need another saw now but I learned from this thread how popular/good the 460 is....I'll keep my eyes open for one and now know to grab it if I see a good deal.

Just found out its had a nikasil big bore top end fitted. 8 years ago a grandson put straight gas through it, took it to this seller who is a shop, he fixed it up, and the grandad since died. So goes the story. Should fly, this saw!

Nice find there Benn. I am a fan of the short bar... I run a 20" on my 044, cuts like a dream. Haven't run a 46 for awhile but they are awesome.

It actually has factory size but a Nikasil plated cylinder and piston assembly top end. Anyway its gonna be great.

I think I took off the muffler screen from the one I was using, and never put it back on before the guy finally picked it up. I hadn't heard anything about his woods on fire. :/:

You will be happy with it. I love my 046. Pulls a 25" bar with full comp chain like a dream. I've used a 28" on it and does ok. I use a 20" on it most of the time. I bought it new somewhere between 98 and 2000 and haven't done squat to it. The thing just keeps on going.

Theres a few on the bay right now buy it now for around 550. I can link you up if you like Gary.

I'd love to but it's not in the cards right now...but eventually....yeah.

I run a 20" bar on my 290...my next step up is my MS650 with a 36" bar...something in between would be good.

Ben it'll probably run a 32" with a skip tooth. It won't be ideal, but it can get you by. Mind you my saw isn't modded at all. I've thought about it, but if it ain't broke don't fix it;)
:/: my favorite too

It'll handle a 32" alright doing random cuts. It's not like you're logging daily 7 hours a day with it. But you'd be pushing the oiler output on it in some steady cutting. Why the big heavy double west coast dogs?

But having said that if you're in steady softwood, I know timber fallers in the PNW logging daily with 046/460 with 32" . But saws are kept sharp running full skip chain.......

I normally run a 25" full comp on my 461 (and in my experience she is a beast with it), and it pulls a 32" full skip without too much trouble. If you have bigger saws in your quiver then the 32 might be pushing it, but as the "big gun" in my quiver she does just fine with it.

I normally run a 25" full comp on my 461 (and in my experience she is a beast with it), and it pulls a 32" full skip without too much trouble. If you have bigger saws in your quiver then the 32 might be pushing it, but as the "big gun" in my quiver she does just fine with it.

Im settling with a 20 and a 28. That will surfice. :thumbup: Theres a brand new Stihl 28 bar with 5 Stihl chains for $160. Thats a bargain right?

Back