Advice on footlocking

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 3K
S

sytherstrike

I'm attending the climbing championship here in Michigan at Oakland university. I think I'll do ok on all of them or at least finish all the challenges except the footlock. Some reason I'm just not getting it. I get the wrap around my boot and push hard with my other and I must be doing something wrong because as soon as I let up on my arms I slide down, when going from the squatting position to the standing. Any advice on footlocking will be greatly appreciated thanks.

When you are begining to straighten your legs are your feet even with each other or is one on top of the other?

You pull the rope around on top of one foot and step on it with the other foot. The wrap around your lower foot holds you on the rope and your upper foot locks the rope in place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you are begining to straighten your legs are your feet even with each other or is one on top of the other?

My one foot is pressing the rope in to the other with a slight angle across, kinda like when a young kid does the wee wee dance.

Probably slipping through that big gap near the heel.

I've been making sure the rope is in the gap on my wrapped foot. Also I've been using my the area in front of the gap to apply pressure to the wrap. I might just buy some new boots that don't have a huge gap and see if thats whats hurting me so much, my wings are getting wore out. The new job I have involves lots of spurless climbing, so I've been thinking of just keeping the wings in my climbing back and buying a cheaper pair of boots for the main day to day activities.

A pair of flatter soled hiking boots will make footlocking much easier. Just as an experiment try taking a few locks in some sneakers, or other flat soled shoe and see what the difference is like.

Sorry to say, but Redwing boots are cheap imported crap any more. They aren't much better than the junk in Wal Mart but you pay 4x as much. There are lots of good choices available but Red Wings aren't one of them.

Sorry to say, but Redwing boots are cheap imported crap any more. They aren't much better than the junk in Wal Mart but you pay 4x as much. There are lots of good choices available but Red Wings aren't one of them.

I was real happy with my wings when I first got them. I'm not going to buy another pair. They are really wore out, and to keep them water resistant I've been having to oil them every two weeks, and still end up with moist feet sometimes.

Before you push with your legs, point your toes DOWN. It makes a big difference.

You can get the greatest lock in the world but if you keep your feet level, it will slip. I use hiking shoes rather than boots because you get a lot better contact with the rope. The truth is, once you have it figured out, you can footlock in practically any shoe or boot. Grippy rubber helps starting out though.

The first thing to learn is to simply lock on and sit on the rope with all your weight on your feet. That's your resting position. Get that totally down so you can rest like that indefinitely. After that, the rest will come fairly easily.

Toes down helps. It's more to expose the top of your shoe to the rope being locked in with your other foot. When you hold your feet straight there's an arch there that the rope can fit into where it's more difficult to bite down on, IME.

Footlock every day, every access into the tree. Best way to get ready for the comp. I gave up pretty much all other access methods unless I have to climb a really tall tree. Footlock even if you are only going up twenty feet.

jp:D

And don't look up (too much) while you're climbing. It's easier to keep a good rhythm if you look straight ahead.

Give it up Willie, it wont help you ....:lol:....

Also, check your body angle to rope. When you have taken a lock and get ready to thrust, your feet should be under you and your body weight directly over top. If you watch your thrust, where are your feet? If your pushing outward, this means your putting excess preasure at the bite creating un wanted slipping.

Check the technique at the 21 second mark...he has a good footlock.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=1606763838984486854&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Thanks for the replies. That video was really helpful. I realize my main problem was not getting directly above my feet, also keeping my feet flat when trying to thrust. I'll keep practicing and if I don't get good, I have to do it anyways since my boss wouldn't let me hear the end of it if I wuss out, specially since he bought me some new gear for the comp. Thanks again.

No reason to wuss out, the comps i've been to have been nothing but fun with cool people

Foot wear doesn't really matter once you get the technique you will come to like the sharper edges on the redwings after you get it down. But before you do, that hole by the heel will give you hell.

Back