A day in the life...

I don't know about the religious part, but you'd better be at least ten times more careful.

Great post, Ger! :thumbup:

Just thinking that having the lad marking the intended corners of the face with a lumber crayon before setting out on the task, might have helped him to keep it more under control.

Maybe an idea for a gettogether.
Find a bunch of trees sceduled to be slaughtered and get some of the competent fallers to give some hands on instruction.

I could set that up real easy, but the cost of airfare might scare most of the participants away.

Stig,

You read my mind...what a great excuse for a get together that would be. Though you are right about airfare to your woods...most of us are not jet setters.

Even if I don't get to learn in person from you or Jerry or Burnham or some of the other pros, I have still learned much from y'all being on this forum...the input is much appreciated by many.

Very interesting. Man would I love to have some quality falling instruction. If you asked my skinny little arse to pick up an 066 with a 36" bar my only reply would be...HELLS YEAH!

My guess would be he has picked up a few saws that were dull or filed poorly and he didn't know Burnham so opted to keep the saw he knew. I may have done the same thing:dur:

Ditto, Willie. I will use a smaller saw that I sharpened before using a larger saw that some unknown person sharpened. In all the years I've been doing this, I've only observed a handful of people capable of consistently sharpening a chain properly. Right now I only know about 2 other people who know that the rakers need to be filed down as the teeth get filed back. I only know one other person who has used a chain breaker and spun his own chains. In these parts, filing chain is a lost art and there is a vast lack of knowledge. Most just buy a new chain after every 3-4 attempts at filing. The ones who do try to file just use the file like a scrub brush rubbing back and forth on the tooth.

Most folks I observe don't sharpen frequently enough. That applies to almost every cutting edge instrument in use today. I imagine that in the old days, surgeons did their own sharpening. :\:

Word. It's way easier to tickle your edge frequently than wait til it's all dulled out...

Like that's anything new to know. :drink:

I adhere to the Abraham Lincoln school of tree cutting: "Give me six hours to cut down a tree and I will spend the first 4 sharpening the axe."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My guess would be he has picked up a few saws that were dull or filed poorly and he didn't know Burnham so opted to keep the saw he knew. I may have done the same thing:dur:

Somehow missed this post earlier...

Oh, he knows me. Everyone that runs a saw on this Forest knows me :/:.

Actually, it's entirely possible that right there might have been the issue. I've had rookies turn down the offer of one of my saws a few times before, saying something along the lines of "No, thanks...I'd never live it down if I did something stupid and busted Burnham's saw".
;)

On the other hand, I always prefer to run a saw I'm familiar with, and that had to be a better boost to his confidence than taking on both a biggish hazard tree, along with doing so with a bigger saw than he was used to running in the bargain.

I'm sure I've said this somewhere in these forums before, "It took me 12 years of going through the motions and following advice to figure out, on my own, how to file a chain so it could really cut." In reflection I often wonder why it took that long. The next 30 years was easy.

.. funny how one can get pretty good at saw handling , but the learning curve for filing is quite broad. Even after I got decent with the chisels , the rakers took seemingly forever to get good at .

I'm sure I've said this somewhere in these forums before, "It took me 12 years of going through the motions and following advice to figure out, on my own, how to file a chain so it could really cut." In reflection I often wonder why it took that long. The next 30 years was easy.
That sounds about right, Jerry. Funny how everything is so easy with 20-30 years experience. :D

.. funny how one can get pretty good at saw handling , but the learning curve for filing is quite broad. Even after I got decent with the chisels , the rakers took seemingly forever to get good at .

Rakers, really? They're pretty damn simple imo unless maybe I've been doing them wrong all along.

Back