87 octane versus ethanol in gas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its part theoretical question, part practical. I bough a proper 5 gallon, yellow diesel can, as I should have. Just hadn't gotten around to it so far. They are not as common as gas cans. Probably more gas applications, and more people running their cars out of gas and needing one, Now!

Now I can mix 5 or 7.5 gallons at a time, while finishing off my other 2.5 mix-gas can, and have 5 gallons of diesel, too, which is about the capacity of the Boxer.

I used to use ethanol from Chevron before hi octane 100% straight gas became available 10-15 miles away, in town, requiring a trip to town. I mostly drive D around in my car with a backseat, rather than the trucks, which has changed, now that I don't have to listen to D's mom complain that its not supposed to be safe for a kid to be in the front seat of a truck (full size, with 6-8 feet of steel and engine in front, and 10' of extra cab and truck bed behind, airbag turned off, compared to a car).

One step forward at a time.

I've heard that regular gas tends to loose octane over time which non-ethanol gas does not do. The now lower octane gas then causes pinging which is often missed in the small, high revving 2 strokes and that results in engine failure. For that reason I would say low grade non-ethanol is probably better then higher grade ethanol gas, unless of course you are going to use it up in short order.

^ This is what I've read as well. Ethanol's theoretical octane number is quoted as being anywhere from 108-115, so it is used to boost the octane rating of gasoline. A lot of gasoline produced at refineries is around 84-85 octane. Ethanol is added at the local terminal when filling the delivery truck, and the addition of up to 10% ethanol raises the octane to the usual 87. Problem is, if the gas sits around for awhile, the ethanol absorbs water and separates from the gas, taking the octane with it, leaving you with lower octane gasoline. That's why you want to use ethanol blended gasoline rather quickly. When it comes to premium (91-95 octane), even if the ethanol separates, the octane should only drop 2-3 points, so you might be left with gas that still has a higher octane number than regular 87. If octane is your primary concern, I'd go with higher octane blends. If corrosion is more of a concern, go with ethanol free, or use your gasoline within a few weeks.

Any gas ethanol or reg that you store in plastic cans loses volatiles over time.

For long term storage gas needs to be in sealed steel containers. Like military jerry cans or the like.

Never had a issue with ethanol when treated with startron and stored that way.

Back