630 vermeer tow behind, and a mini?

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
i have some huge stumps to go after, in a back yard
the dingo just makes it thru the gate
could i run a 630, and have it attached to the mini, i have the standard reciever hitch plate for moving my trailers around
i thought i could push it in with it, and leave it hooked up, or would it just beat the front end of the mini to death?

also those 630's have a wisconsin motor on them, i heard they are hard to get parts for now.....is that true?

i saw one at graddys equipment in oreogon near willy ........i was thinking 630 because they can fit thru a gate, and be moved by a toyota or a rhino if need be

what are your thoughts o tree family?

20 years ago I worked with a guy that had an old 630A and a couple times we had to unhook it from the truck and manhandle it back to a stump by hand. He pounded a large stake in the ground and lashed the stump grinder tongue to that in order to grind the stump.

You should be fine using the machine while hooked up to the mini. I do it with the 665b. The only thing that doesn't work well is moving further out with the tounge. Instead of moving the machine further down the stump, it usually pushes the mini backwards. :)

Vermeer sold a ground stake to hitch the 630 too. My guy uses a 630, nice little grinder. Mini should have no problem, I move my 4500-5000lb chipper around with my Thomas.

I'm not sure about the west coast but they sell parts for wisconsin engines at our local NAPA and vermeer dealer, I've never heard of a problem finding parts for one, we have a few pieces of equipment at work with them, I can get with our parts guy to find online options if needed, good engines by the way from my experience

They're pretty tough .Air cooled you have to keep up with the valves .I've got two .A 16 twin and a 34 HP V4 .Plus enough parts to rebuilt a V4 or two twins except perhaps a crankshaft which you can normally find on flea bay .

They got rid of all the propane fueled inter plant vehicles a few years back .I kid you not they threw away a semi load of new parts .I got what I could on a scape pass .It was terrible .Probabley 25 complete running twins and a half dozen V4 short blocks plus enough parts to rebuilt 20 or 30 .It's probabley just beer cans now or bumpers for a Toyota .:cry:

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have two of those ground stakes that fit on the tongue of a 630. Only used one of them once and that was enough of that. If you encounter the problem like FJR mentioned try chocking the the wheels of the machine that is pushing or towing the grinder. A 665 is a much bigger machine than a 630 wish I had one.

You used to be able to go to a farm auction and buy an old wire tie bailer for under 250 and rob the Wisconsin from it .I think the 34 HP V4 is a VE4 .The numbers can be checked with that link I posted .The old string tie bailers used a 24 HP and half of them were crank start .Problem is now of days you'd be hard pressed to find any old machines that had a decent engine left on them . Most were cut up for scape 20 years ago .

Back