576 vs new 372

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A prized 576. Rookie here playing with attaching pics.

IMG_2713.jpg

Ive only used Stihl and thats all my pops ever used. I really want to get a 372xp x torq for chunking down the shaft or big spars. The only saw we have for it currently is a stihl 66 with a 36 inch bar. Lets just say i hate it and it makes me feel like a bitch haha. I was thinking the 372 with a 24 inch bar would be good. Any thoughts??

Is that because the 562 has more power? I feel like the new ones look like junk. If you don't mind me asking. What is your reasoning behind this.

I find my 372 a bit of a lump up the tree and the slight increase in power and torque compared to the smooth as silk 562, which is a lot lighter, isn't enough.
For me it's 540/201 then switch to the 560 then if needs be the 066/288/395, I find the 372 neither fish nor fowl up the tree.

Thank you for that and I appreciate your input.
I find my 372 a bit of a lump up the tree and the slight increase in power and torque compared to the smooth as silk 562, which is a lot lighter, isn't enough.
For me it's 540/201 then switch to the 560 then if needs be the 066/288/395, I find the 372 neither fish nor fowl up the tree.

70-80+cc saws are more than I care to swing around in a tree also, unless needed.

From the top handle I switch to a 346xp.

Down the road I could see the 346 being replaced with a 562xp when the time comes.

The 562 is really a "'tweener" saw. If you are a firewood cutter and want one saw to fill the bill, that's your baby. You want to run a 28" bar all day, it's not for you. It will run it, but you wont be happy doing so all day. Put a 24" bar on it, and it's gonna be fat dumb and happy all day everyday. But it's going to be slower than a 70cc saw with both, and about the same weight.
IF I were to limit myself to one saw, the 562 would be it, plain and simple. It's versatile, capable and usable in many forms from a 20" bar to a 28" bar. About all a person could ask for from one saw.
BUT with my Dolmar 5100 running like it does, I don't think I'll get anything much lighter to pull a 20" bar like it does. Then the way my 046 runs, I don't think I'd find anything lighter to pull a 32" bar like it does. At this point in my life, I'm all about light! I use the 5100 way more than I ever thought I would.
So I love the concept of the saw, and it certainly fills a market place, but most of you guys are not going to be in that market. Most of you will do as stated above, top handle, 50cc, 70cc then 90 or above cc. Those of you that do a lot of large spar work might like it for blocking down because of it's weight, it's damn light for what it is, but it's not going to have the power you are used to.
I wont talk anyone out of it, just want everyone to understand what the saw is.

Anything over 20" b/c on the 562 the chain has to be kept constantly sharp. My 562 which is my go to saw I only run a 18" on it.
My next in line is the 372 with a 22" but have run everything from 16" to 28", on it. When things get tough I grab the 372.
395-32"-36" does the rest.
Only use my 346/550 saws to back up my top handle 338 up in the tree.

And that's the thing with the 562. Most that buy it will run a 20-24" bar and be fat dumb and happy. They can fell, land and buck with this saw, with the option to run a bit longer bar if needed. Firewood guys, and landowners with lots of acreage.
Most tree guys are going to want something with more power to pull a bar like that, or lighter to pull a smaller bar in the tree.
I love the saw, I love the concept, I'm glad they produced it. To me, it's everything, and more, the 262xp should have been. But it's still a "One size fits all", or "Jack of all trades, master of none" type of thing. Which for most of you, isn't going to fit well into the arsenal.

I disagree. Most guys I know that bought a 562 made it the first choice in their arsenal. The same guys like myself that went from a climbing saw right to a saw in the 70+cc class each day.

How about this for an aerial saw? You can ride this Yamaha bike saw to the ground as you split the spar in half down to the stump......
Geez I even had hair 15 years ago:lol:

20150211_135818.jpg

Good investment Matthew, that saw can do just about everything. Looks like you got a 20" on it. Get a 18" and a 24-32" b/c and your good to go.

Ya nice saw matt:thumbup:
And don't be silly you still need rock star hair to be magical in a tree like the great reg!!:lol:
How did the job go?

Back