550xp or 362

For that size wood I'd look hard at a ported Dolmar 5100! Mine wears a 20" with 3/8" chain, man I love that saw! Light, powerful and easy to handle!
Hopefully Roger will throw some input in on it, I know he has at least one.

I hage to say i think im gonna go with the 562. Ford owes me some money so once that comes through ill bite the bullet.

Im getting the itch to start logging.

Brendan, contact Terry Landrum of wickedworksaw.com. Tell him I sent ya!

I'm trading him a 372 pipe (for a stolen near race 372) as part payment for a Jonsered 2260. He sells them for $865, which includes $265 for woods porting. Says the gains are about 35-40%. That price may not include a bar/chain. He also sells the 562....The 2250 is the same as the 560, which isn't imported to the US... a tad lighter than the 562, same power, but with the small mount bar system. He sells the 562, ported, for $920, so the 2260 is a better deal, and prettier!

He'll sell you a stock saw, as well.

But stock is for slow pokes...... though I've heard the 562 is the meanest stock saw yet seen... well, since the likes of my Stihl 056 Magnum II !!

For that size wood I'd look hard at a ported Dolmar 5100! Mine wears a 20" with 3/8" chain, man I love that saw! Light, powerful and easy to handle!
Hopefully Roger will throw some input in on it, I know he has at least one.

I had two! One was only muffler modded, but plenty fast. Unfortunately, both were stolen. I still have two 3 cube saws, after the two 5100's, and several others were stolen. Fackin druggies! I do have a pipe for the 5100. Wanna buy it? I'l bet you saw the images of me, running it aloft, sitting on a big fir that had fallen onto a house. I'm sure I was the first, and only, wacko, to run a piped saw in the air!! My two 3 cubers that are left are a new mweba 550, that is nice, but I don't think its a fast as my 346 NE by Jasha Reynolds. That saw was at least 10% faster than the Ed Heard 5100S...which was the 2nd, if not the first 5100 ever ported.

The 562 has a low center of gravity too and rotates side to side nicely without a ton of wrist fatigue. Really nice for aggressive limbing.
That's where the outboard clutch comes in, put's the b/c about a inch closer to the center of the powerhead versus a inboard clutch model. Making easier rolling action when limbing.

The 562 is long too comparable to a 272/372 offering good leverage and being able to handle a 28" b/c as the manual specs.

I had two! One was only muffler modded, but plenty fast. Unfortunately, both were stolen. I still have two 3 cube saws, after the two 5100's, and several others were stolen. Fackin druggies! I do have a pipe for the 5100. Wanna buy it? I'l bet you saw the images of me, running it aloft, sitting on a big fir that had fallen onto a house. I'm sure I was the first, and only, wacko, to run a piped saw in the air!! My two 3 cubers that are left are a new mweba 550, that is nice, but I don't think its a fast as my 346 NE by Jasha Reynolds. That saw was at least 10% faster than the Ed Heard 5100S...which was the 2nd, if not the first 5100 ever ported.

No, I need a pipe like another hole in the head!
Sorry they got stolen, that sucks! But I know I've made a LOT more gains with the 5100's than a 346 ever offered me! Damn things think they are a 60cc saw when they breathe right!

I've got a 562 with the full wrap and big dogs. It is pretty much the only saw we use now. 95% of the time. 20" bar, its mean.

That's where the outboard clutch comes in, put's the b/c about a inch closer to the center of the powerhead versus a inboard clutch model. Making easier rolling action when limbing.

The 562 is long too comparable to a 272/372 offering good leverage and being able to handle a 28" b/c as the manual specs.
If you try this out you see it is the height of front handle that give the handling affect.
You can do experiment with three sticks and a couple weights. Very informative.
Center of weight should be between hands optimally, but that is not easy. Draw a line between were hands are placed and mark center of weight, then you see that the closer to line it is the less force is needed to turn the saw.

Gyro is another thing to add. It gets more as it gets further out from center of weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So low that a wrap bar is in the way? Sounds like a lot of filing to me. Anyway, wrap handle bar allows you to cut either direction from either side. It gives you the most options, same reason I use them exclusively residential too. What's not to like?

No not that low. I just never get around benefitting from it. Also makes skidder storage a pita. We have a scabbard mounted on the side of the cab.

Need a new saw for logging this year. All I've got right now is two 460s, one 660, two 200ts.

Do i go husky 550xp heated or stihl 362 heated. 16" on the husky 20" on the stihl both 3/8"s.

We cut alot of small birch, 12" and under. Occasional 20"+ tree. And all the way down to 3" trees.

Was gonna do a poll but don't think its ipad friendly.

I have no idea where to steer on which saw, but in my experience I would go higher cc and a shorter bar like an 18" on a 60cc. I have cut more firewood with a 357xp with 18" bar than any other saw I have.

No not that low. I just never get around benefitting from it. Also makes skidder storage a pita. We have a scabbard mounted on the side of the cab.
Half/full wrap are a PIA for limbing for the size of b/c we use doing cut and skid work.
Now for the operators using 32" or longer b/c then I can see it may help them out, especially working on steep terrain in big diameter timber.

Ok Ok I haven't had my first coffee yet, yes your right 3/4 wrap .........:lol:

No 3/4 or full wraps what so ever in my part of the world.

There is a new 562 listed on my site in for sale section. Guy bought it put on shelf 2013 model. Never been gassed up.

550 may be a bit underpowered for what your doing, although I did fell a couple of 30" diameter poplar with mine when my 660 broke down last week. I run it with a 15" bar for small fells and limbing, really nice small light saw.

562 I have no experience of, but I did have a 560, and that's what I would go for for the work your describing.

Also. Would this come .050 bar guage?
Yes.

But did you miss my post?:

You won't find better prices than Terry's..... Bar/chain is extra, tho:

Quote Originally Posted by brendonv View Post
I hage to say i think im gonna go with the 562. Ford owes me some money so once that comes through ill bite the bullet.

Im getting the itch to start logging.
Brendan, contact Terry Landrum of wickedworksaw.com. Tell him I sent ya!

I'm trading him a 372 pipe (for a stolen near race 372) as part payment for a Jonsered 2260. He sells them for $865, which includes $265 for woods porting. Says the gains are about 35-40%. That price may not include a bar/chain. He also sells the 562....The 2250 is the same as the 560, which isn't imported to the US... a tad lighter than the 562, same power, but with the small mount bar system. He sells the 562, ported, for $920, so the 2260 is a better deal, and prettier!

He'll sell you a stock saw, as well.

But stock is for slow pokes...... though I've heard the 562 is the meanest stock saw yet seen... well, since the likes of my Stihl 056 Magnum II !!

I ran a modded 562 side by side with my modded 361, not timed or nothing but multiple cuts in the same log in my woodpile switching back and forth. I called it even. I ended up letting an employee buy the 562 as I just don't run this size of saw. Go big or go home.

I'm a slow poke rog. I'll look into a modded saw next time. I'm
Not a big saw guy, like a screw driver to a mechanic. I'm sure they are great.

Treestuff has one en route, 20" bar and heated handle. I can't believe I'm getting an all orange saw. Next I'll
Be driving dodge and Chevys. Ya right.

Its a solid investment. My stable includes 288, 372, 361, 441, 460, 562, and a 350 somewhere. Id throw all the rest in the river before I'd part with my 562. Dead on reliable, easy on gas, and built well.

Got the 562 xpg yesterday. Ran three tanks on a yard clearing today. Nice saw. Like the balance. Sure doesn't start on the first pull after warmed up. Maybe 3-4 pulls. Hopefully that changes.

Also. What's the cold start procedure on these? Two pumps, flip to choke. After it burps on choke do you release the lever with the throttle or manually lower it?

Definitely get your head around how the stop/choke lever works.

All the way up is choke, push down for fast idle, blip throttle and it is all off.
Cold start is just like every other saw, prime if you need to, full choke till it coughs, then fast idle till it starts. Blip the throttle and it's back to normal idle.

It's warm start where people have had issues. Manual says fast idle for all warm starts - but many of us ignore that. But if it sits for 5 minutes when it's warm you definitely need fast idle. Any more than 2 pulls when it's warm and you are doing something wrong and you should use fast idle.

I hate to say it - but it's worth reading the manual.

Back