I have not used more then one 064 in my life. The fella that taught me to climb kept a lineup of older stihl saws that were all in outstanding order. I took a liking to the 064, which no one else really bothered with. It had a grunt and a roar to it that let me know I had some saw in my hands. Its been so long since I ran it, but I remember loving it. Rumor has it, B is gifting me his when he has had enough cutting firewood in another 30 years.

That rumor is true, my friend. Might even be a few years less than 30...not a bunch, mind you, but maybe a few :).

We can send you one from the UK if you want

I thought of importing one, but there would be a problem of getting parts plus I have a seriously good working relationship with my dealer.
Have been using him for 25+years, and don't want to risk pissing him off by importing stuff.

My 461 got its first outing yesterday, leaning pine removal, probably 30+" at the base. 2 tanks of gas for all the cutting
The borecutting was easy peasy, the crosscutting was like knife through butter.
I didn't feel I was 'lugging' it around on the ground, it was fine to carry, nice and balanced.
Starting it on the ground I have to use the decomp and put it down, full compression is a bit much for me! (besides, my shoulders were achey from just climbing the nasty tree)
I Really like the big felling spikes, lots of control.
Quite a bit of vibration, I'd say my 361 with the spring suspension is better.

It seemed like if I put it full throttle while cutting it sounded quite 'screamy' so rather chance being running lean I eased it up, besides, its brand new after all. I haven't had a chance to pull the plug and check the colour.

I WILL need to pack the 22" bar in future!
Along with my new SRT stuff yesterdya with the new 461 was a go get'em day!

I have a 461 with about 15 tanks run through it and I am pleased with it so far.

Anybody know if the oem 461r dogs and roller fit on the stock cover or do I need to order the larger r cover to have everything line up? Thanks , Jason

Love my new one!
Second outing yesterday, macrocarpa stem broken out of a tree, about 20" at the base. Looking at it on our firewood pile as I type...

I am very impressed with mine so far. I have only run through maybe 10 tanks of fuel and that baby is breaking in nicely. Running 28" and 25" bars. She has cut everything I put in front of her. Starts on second pull, idles near perfect, and great power to weight ratio. Bermy I bet that 22" bar is a nice balanced bar for the 461. Thanks to everyone for all the insight before I purchased the saw.

I have a 461 with about 15 tanks run through it and I am pleased with it so far.

Anybody know if the oem 461r dogs and roller fit on the stock cover or do I need to order the larger r cover to have everything line up? Thanks , Jason

Yes they do. If you change them I reccomend loctite on all the threads. . Dog bolts are notorious for loosening up and backing out. Regardless of saw brand or model. . I really like the 5 point OEM R dogs. For tree work. I have aftermarket 4 point heavy duty dogs on my juiced up 460. They are real heavy duty. But are only 4 point. The 5 point help when bucking Or when blocking down up in the tree.

The R clutch cover is really nice tho. The mud flap helps reduce the amount of sawdust you have to eat.

Finally inside photos by Randy aka Mastermind

MS461013.jpg

Nice saw there ,i have one just like it 8)

Yup. Had to put a new blower in the heater on the pickup. The cold toasted the bearing on the old one. Its a challenge when you can't open the door. Course any mechanic work is a challenge to me :-). How u doin??
Welcome to the Tree House.

Yup. Had to put a new blower in the heater on the pickup. The cold toasted the bearing on the old one. Its a challenge when you can't open the door. Course any mechanic work is a challenge to me :-). How u doin??
Welcome to the Tree House.

I got up this morning ,windshield froze over ,no blower motor in my truck ,i feel your pain ,i went to fix it a few hours ago and it came back on ,this seems like a pretty cool place ,think i'm gonna like it here

So I had to buy a mid-size saw and the 461 was it. So far so good. Anyone else got any long-term updates?

Mine's still barely broken in, but I'm liking it a lot.
I run it stock with 20". Plenty of power but not too heavy or cumbersome for a little person like me.

I have had mine since last September and have been pretty impressed. I have the 361 as well and find myself picking up the the 461 more often. The weight difference is minimal and the increased cutting speed with difference in power makes it worth it at least on the ground. In the tree I will use the lightest saw for the job so I grab the 361. Only problem I have had is the bar not getting enough oil which I believe is the hole on the bar is a little small. I have been meaning to drill it out a little bigger. Have 25" and 28". 25" is what I keep on it but a 20" would be awesome.

Stihl loving mine. She wears a 28" es light bar and pulls with authority. Got a date with mastermind to have her ported in September.

Back