45 Trees, 3 climbers, 3 weeks of residential logging.

Here's a trick question for all of you experienced crane takedown climbers.

60 ton crane with jib fully extended at 130 feet up, a leaning conifer that's 150 feet tall.

What's the safest means of taking that top working in conjunction with the crane guys?

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, I appreciate you guys pointing it out..
Mike had complained about the fogging of the lenses during the job. He leans toward wearing Stihl brand safety glasses,. Weather was creating a great deal of moisture and temperatures went from cold to warm till afternoon and then cooled off again. You can see by the pictures with the steam coming off the trees...
But... looking back through the pictures, is was a repetitive practice by the dear lad. Pirate maybe.. A Humboldt pirate. But a good way to end up with an eye patch to match.
Obviously I have become complacent and this is an issue that needs addressed.... Different glasses and some diligence on my part it would seem. I sounded like a broken record at the job site over hard hats and had neglected the glasses elsewhere. Seems his second tie in was not deployed either :X
I should have been more observant. Thank you! That is the great thing I get from pictures and vid from work, I can look back and see stuff that needs addressing.. a valuable tool.
Sean, our crane op loves the Senas. I believe he will be owning a pair soon. He loves having a voice at the end of the day. There were so many times when Mike was lower on the trees in the garden, there was no good visual way to communicate aside from have another body relay that communication from op to cutter. Never had to shut off the other equipment... Way more safe and efficient.

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCI0855.jpg
    DSCI0855.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCI0856.jpg
    DSCI0856.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCI0857.jpg
    DSCI0857.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCI0858.jpg
    DSCI0858.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 33

60 ton crane with jib fully extended at 130 feet up, a leaning conifer that's 150 feet tall.

What's the safest means of taking that top working in conjunction with the crane guys?

Jomo

What's the radius?

Capacity is everything. Tip height can be dealt with if load is butt heavy enough. Your question does not detail enough specifics

Not enough info.....but there are many ways.....

Sling butt heavy...cut

Stay tied to crane .....rope out top to itself.....then pick from there

60 ton should have plenty of capacity even with jib if your that close......

Last option .......next time get bigger crane

Not enough info.....but there are many ways.....

Sling butt heavy...cut

Stay tied to crane .....rope out top to itself.....then pick from there

Yes, bingo, minimize risk to climber n crane, let the tree do the dancing.

No rookies round here!

Jomo

Truthfully that may not be the safest though.....if tree is structurally compromised that would be potentially ugly.

One other thing I always avoid is those type of skidding chokers. If load is temporary released they could come undone.

Jomo

Normally .. depending on the lean, tree health and species, etc. that would dictate the climber be tied to crane or tree. Catch the top with rope from the ground and lower it just down enough to attach to the ball via sling or choker.
Our local crane does not like deploying the jib. Too many idiots have shocked the crane. Sooooooo... pretty much SOP to lower tops to his crane height.

The sling in the pic above the retaining wall is less than ideal.

I know One Eye Guy, and One Eye Bob. Vets of tree work and logging.

Also, No Hand Stan.

There are mesh glasses that are impact resistant now, for about $30, Z87 or whatever. Cheaper mesh glasses, around <$10, non-compliant.

Mesh forestry screens do a lot to protect the whole face (teeth from a snap on a flipline, particularly). Not Z87, but way, way better than eyes. Takes a bit to get used to. Gary was always employeed by people that thought safety and ppe were too expensive, slow, and such. He's adjusted. He actually likes wearing chaps at work, feeling safer, being safer.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15234 $10 z87.1 compliant (possibly not fully compliant).

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=3518# $8 CE EN1731 certified.

End of the day .......you still did a great job Stephan .

Big jobs are lots to deal with

And no matter what, nothing will go perfectly, and people will do what people do. A job well done!

Sometimes, trying to enforce all safety rules is too much distraction/ frustration in itself, leading to other risks.

I can be more of a safety nazi, as my guys are less seasoned, and my regular employees. Not much risk of a safety inspector showing up on your site, at least less than in a neighborhood in the capital city (State-run WC), here.

Agreed MB... Trying to get him to use the HH more which is perfect for cinching the stem as your second tie in.

I will be buying the mesh glasses for these occasions. I found some Foster Grant made vented safety glasses that work a charm for me. Like anything... it's a personal thing. Some glasses give me a headache... some don't sit right with the helmet. I hate visors........... Everyone is different and deserves something comfy to work in.

And no matter what, nothing will go perfectly, and people will do what people do. A job well done!

Sometimes, trying to enforce all safety rules is too much distraction/ frustration in itself, leading to other risks.

I can be more of a safety nazi, as my guys are less seasoned, and my regular employees. Not much risk of a safety inspector showing up on your site, at least less than in a neighborhood in the capital city (State-run WC), here.

I can follow that, Sean.
I always make sure to do things by the book, when apprentices are watching.
They can develope their own bad habits, no reason for them to copy mine.

They can develop their own bad habits, no reason for them to copy mine.

hahaha...well put, Stig!

Stephen...what the other dudes said...awesome work overall. There is always something that could have been done better/differently. Armchairing can give food for thought though, for sure. ("thought-though" is for you to cipher, Stig...which probably won't phase you at all.:D)

Thanks, Sean for those links...I use the Elvex's all the time. They appear to be partly Z87 compliant. Do you have a link to fully compliant Z87 mesh glasses? You said about $30? My understanding is that the Elvex are not high-speed projectile impact resistant...e.g., if a chainsaw tooth breaks or you hit a nail you have a high speed projectile that might defeat the Elvex. But for overall cutting in the tree and stopping wood chips, limb punctures as you climb thru tight places or turn to find a limb in your face...the Elvex are wonderful.

And NO fogging...working with fogged glasses is not only highly frustrating but dangerous, in my opinion.

These are the Elvex you can get at TreeStuff:

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15234

15234.jpg

Nope, didn't faze me much, been hanging with y'all too long:)

Long enough to learn to spell "faze" anyway:P

Back