24' Triple Extension Pole Saw

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 10K
I've given some thought to buying the Silky Hayauchi, but I don't know that I'd use it enough to justify it.

My current polesaw has a Stihl motor on the back and telescopes out a few feet. I have propped a 32' extension ladder on a limb, set a climbing line with a throwball, then climb/belay up the ladder just like it was a tree. From up there, with the Stihl polesaw I have reached around 40'.

Same as everything you buy, you'll use it more than you think. The Hayate is more expensive but heaps better from the ground.

Hayauchi is ok for in the tree work, if you do it that way.

I have propped a 32' extension ladder on a limb, set a climbing line with a throwball, then climb/belay up the ladder just like it was a tree. From up there, with the Stihl polesaw I have reached around 40'.

Next time you do that can you get some pics or a video, I'd really like to see that.:)

I'll try. I don't do it often, but if there are several limbs to shorten back, as in the photos at the beginning of this thread, it's the simplest way I know to do it. I have also rigged a line on a limb that was out over a house and cut the limb with a rope saw, thereby removing the limb without leaving the ground. This was on a dying maple that lacked any sufficient crotch in the top, and there was no other way to get out on the limb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<...>

Attachments

• 100_7063.JPG
    100_7063.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 20

For long reach when using a pole saw I use the poles that are meant to be use for bull floating concrete the snap together not the screw type. I made a saw head to fit the poles and at length are lighter and stiffer then the Silky poles. Anything over 24' is bucket or a climb though for me. There is a company out there called Aazel that makes aluminum poles to 40'.

Interesting; I've never seen screw-type connectors, here.

I've been getting 6' sections, as of late; much easier to snap together head-level than 2' overhead.

I'll start a couple sections, vertical, leaning on a branch, and 'stem' sections up and down, like when drilling.

The two reddies in the background were selectively tip-reduced by climbing/pulling waaaaay out there....Yeeehawww.

<hmmmm>

I'm not much of a polesaw user, mainly for hangers and such.

The corona big bite though, I love.

I just bough my first orchard ladder, used plenty but never owned one til now.

How many people here when you're standing on the ladder have someone else spotting/holding on???

Not I. The 16' orchard ladder makes it feel like you should be tied in though.

I'll have someone hold it when the outrigger is on pavement or something.

I'm a climber not a ladder man. That's just me.
But I still put $300 down for a 12' orchard ladder.

Everywhere I worked where there were other employees,
it was SOP to have a guy spot you and ballast the bottom of the ladder.

Oh and use the ladder lanyard so they don't open up on you on a wet trex deck.
Polesaws, I have one and bring it everytime. barely use it.

Bren and Bodean, I use a hank of arbortie to lanyard the leg to a rung. I had the leg go out on me while pruning a laurel hedge in an alley once, surfed it out unhurt but it sure woke me up.

It's pretty wicked.

I watched my buddy ride it out into a belly flop holding an 020.
and another guy went off a road cut along a skid road, fell about 25 feet off the side.
They both just bounced, real resilient folks, Steve and Evan.

But yeah, definitely Paul. Good advice.

Thanks for the assistance, MB.

I own a '12 orchard ladder and have used it less times than I can count on one hand, since I've owned it.

I say forget the ladder. Unless, of course, you need to get on a roof or into the occasional tree.

Seen more than my share of people eat it on ladders, too; not pretty!

I'll try to always point the outrigger uphill, too.

I'm wondering how you'd snip the tips of White pines, or ornamental pruning without an orchard ladder. Trust me, they go on the truck as little as possible.

Attachments

• 5-21-2010 003.JPG
    5-21-2010 003.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 29
Perfect tree for the ladder, there.

I have a 12' and a 14' and we only put them on the truck when we are going to need them. I'd like to build a ladder rack for the chip truck though. If on a hard surface, I do like Paul and tie the leg to a rung, only have a spotter if on uneven setup or needing to lean off to one side. A trick some of you may or may not know is you can lean back on a ladder if you flip line into a rung. We used to shear a vine off a 2 story house twice a year from 40' extension ladders, worked well, Treesandsurf probably knows the place

6' basswood Seymour pole, hated dragging 2 sections around but then I was no champ climber.

Love the Stories in this thread, had a green trainee up a tree once, he wanted to hang in the honey branch and run 3 - 4 sections of pole saw.
Funniest looking thing he had his scare strap wrapped about 6 times around the central leader he figured it was safer that way.

Back