2001 Ford F-650

atw

TreeHouser
I am looking at a 2001 Ford F-650 chiptruck. Has a CAT 3126 motor with low miles. It also has dual cylinder dump, which I am not to sure about. I have only ever seen single cylinder dumps. If one cylinder goes out, will that screw things say in a middle of dumping, etc. Any advice or past experiences?

Can't seem much but looks like it could be a good price if the mileage is right. Just cause theres 2 cylinders shouldn't be a make or break thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just dont know much about the make, model, if there are any common problems people may know of, etc. As for the 2 cylinders-- my concern there is if one hose or anything were to break, leak, etc while dumping, could it cause off balance or any other problems while dumping with a load in the air. Im not much of a mechanic. I know its kind of far fetched, but you never know. As for the mileage, it has low miles (under 60,000)

With 2 cylinders, there is half as much load on each one. And much less wobble side to side if you aren't dumping on perfectly level ground. All around a better set up than a single cylinder. It takes a few seconds longer to dump because you have to pump twice as much hydraulic fluid.

The Cat 3126 is an excellent motor. I have that motor in my 2001 Chevy C8500 bucket truck. It was a bit sluggish when I bought it but with regular oil changes every 250 hrs and running the dog crap out of it, the performance has picked up. My only problems have been related to Chevrolet's crappy electrical system. Bad grounds, bad battery cables, leaky fittings on the fuel lines running from the tank to the fuel pump, etc.

Something I've been doing for almost 2 years now is adding a small amount of ashless 2 cycle oil to the diesel fuel at every fill up. It replaces the lubricity lost when they removed the sulfur from the fuel. According to Brendon's info from the diesel forum, I'm buying the Super Tech TCW3 oil (blue gallon jugs) from Wall Mart and adding about one half ounce per gallon of fuel (16 ounces per $100 of fuel before prices shot up). I've noticed quicker acceleration and smoother idling. I ran out about 2 weeks ago and can already tell the difference.

FWIW I've never seen or heard of the hoses blowing on a dump cylinder .Not to say though it's not possible .

The Cat 3126 is an excellent motor. I have that motor in my 2001 Chevy C8500 bucket truck. It was a bit sluggish when I bought it but with regular oil changes every 250 hrs and running the dog crap out of it, the performance has picked up. My only problems have been related to Chevrolet's crappy electrical system. Bad grounds, bad battery cables, leaky fittings on the fuel lines running from the tank to the fuel pump, etc.

You got real lucky it has been behaving this long. My other work is as a bus and RV mechanic. Those 3126s are a headache unless you have access to Cats website to fix them. They are also EXTREMELY PICKY about the type of oil in them and the type of filters used. We just had one that was giving me fits at work. Was pretty sure it had a bad Injection Pressure sensor but boss didn't want to go on just my tests so we sent it to the dealer. Oil was just changed a week prior. Results were $1038 dollars for diagnosis and sensor replacement. I hate those engines with a passion.

The first year I had it I was getting the oil changed at the truck lube places for about $200+ per trip, they used whatever they used. The last 2 years I've been doing it myself using Rotella and I get my filters from NAPA. Haven't had any problems at all with the injectors or any sensors yet. My motor just ticked over 10,000 hours last month. I have no idea what the mileage is since I don't use that to gauge oil change intervals (lots of running time without the wheels turning) but I think it's about 63K. I know it had 48K on it when I bought it 3 years ago.

Back