SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Stihl 064.
36" Oregon bar in good condition with essentially new sprocket tip.
Sharp .404 chain.
Full wrap handle.
New air filter and spark plug.
I think I changed the fuel filter recently.
I replaced the oil pump with an 066/660 pump recently.
I have a new starter cord for it, but haven't installed it, yet. I have to re-locate where I put it. The current cord is okay, just a little shorter than normal. Starts the saw fine, though.

$375.

Does this sound like its in the right ball park. What is involved in a new P&C?

I'm selling it on Craigslist. Not really intending to sell it to a THer, just looking for input. Of course if someone wanted it, I wouldn't be opposed.

What's wrong with it? Mighty cheap for a big Stihl. If it looks halfway decent then give it a good bath and ask $600. Let somebody talk you down to $475 or $500. You can send me $50 of the extra $100 you get.

Are you saying 064 needs rebuilt with new top end etc?

Just to give a idea of pricing. I sold great running 066 woods ported with 32" and bunch of chains for $600 and a great running muffler modded MS660 with 24" and bunch of chains for $600. Woods ported 372xp with 24" $440.

I'd expect many a knowlegable sawyer to pay $375 in a heartbeat if the saw is in solid, strong running condition. If it looks like it's only had light use, read the exterior looks nice, you could easily see another $100-125 out of it, or more. The 064 is one of the extremely desireable older Stihl's out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like its been used and put up wet, which is why I wonder about a rebuild.

I need to get some pics and a video for better input. Input so far is appreciated.

I bought it for $325.

If only it was in "solid, strong running condition".

Its not raining, so I might go get some pics/ video.

I didn't know 064s were in much demand, at least in comparison to an 066. Don't know what the upgrades were with the new 066 model. Anyone?

Minor increase in displacement and hp output, at the cost of poorer power/weight ratio. You might not find the proper level of appreciation in the younger guys who don't know the 064 from personal experience, perhaps.

Gotcha.

Wonder what it would take to rebuild such a saw, anybody?

I'm going to go out and take some pics and video in a lil bit.

As I hear it, the only parts problem you might have is the ignition module...no longer available...though tricky guys have made an 066 module work, manipulating the timing to do so.

Are you saying 064 needs rebuilt with new top end etc?

Just to give a idea of pricing. I sold great running 066 woods ported with 32" and bunch of chains for $600 and a great running muffler modded MS660 with 24" and bunch of chains for $600. Woods ported 372xp with 24" $440.

I don't know enough about rebuilding to say what it needs. My saws have never needed it, and previous employers had good saws, or a saw mechanic. What are the general needs when rebuilding?

What's wrong with it? If it's just weak compression then slapping a new set of rings in it may give it a bit more life. With points ignition, the points and condenser are always suspect but those basic tune-up parts may be difficult to find these days. Al or others here may have answers on where to find them.

It should be electronic ignition Brian, the one I ran was at least. Nice strong saws, not as heavy as the 066 and a LOT smoother to run in the cut than an 046, nice running saws!
Basic tools will take it apart, you might need a T-27 torx to get the cylinder bolts, I don't recall if they are torx or allen bolts any more.
Problem being, why did the cylinder go, if it is that. A saw that age it could be any number of things and it will really need to be vacume and pressure tested to find out why or where.
At this point I would pull the muffler off and look inside at the piston, if it's scored you need to tear it on down. If it looks smooth and good, look elsewhere for the poor running.

So, like a lazy employee, the threat of being fired makes a better performer.

Seems like its part my perception, and frustration with it.

I bought is for a couple hundred dollars when I was running a whopping MS 361 maxed out with a 28" bar in softwood. I thought maybe I'd been duped buying it. I bought it from an impatient guy at an apartment complex, when I was in a hurry, trying to do a million things in a day. I didn't get to test cut it, and another buyer rang while I was looking at it. I found out that the sprocket nose was splayed out, and the oiler wasn't working well. I thought I had a good deal, but then it started going south.

Since then I got a modded 460 with a dual port exhaust. I'd been cutting with it for a while.

Recently I had a big maple, maybe 44" dbh take down. I was getting crappy power out of it. I realized that I wasn't getting full throttle out of it. I took the handle apart and got it "fixed", but still wasn't great. The 460 was cutting better with a square grind than the 064 with a chipper chain.

We were buying air filters at Madsen's one day recently and I got a new filter for the 064, but haven't had an opportunity to run it. Seems like maybe the trigger issue, and an old air filter, and past frustration with it (including some "help" from the guy that didn't pay me for a few days, about whom I ranted previously, "help" took a long time, and in the end I fixed it myself), all added up.

My co-worker decided his 044 is enough for him, and he decided to sell me his Madsen's-modded, dual port muffler 660 with HD dogs with a next to new 36" stihl bar and two chains for $500. I figured I'd upgrade by selling my 064 for what I had into it, and add a bit of cash.

Maybe now I have two bigger saws (and less need, working for the State 40 hours a week, and still some for myself:|: ).

Appreciate all your inputs.

http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu303/southsoundtree/MS 064/

I'll go with B on this one. Often a new set of rings will add a lot of life to a tired saw .Keep in mind though it will take a tad to seat new rings on a used cylinder but given enough time they will seat . You'll definately know it once they come home .

FWIW I'd just about bet an older 064 will run neck and neck with a new Ms 660 .Might even out perform it .That's how much they've screwed up what once was the saw everything else was compaired to ,the 066 .Damned shame .:(

The 044 came out soon after. A much more solid saw imo. the price you're asking is ok for a weekend wood cutter. too old of a saw though for a pro to rely on. Twice the price would get a new saw with warranty and service parts for the duration.

They were a darn good saw in their day.

Say ,upgrades , missed that the first time through .Good old Fred alias Stihl kid had an 064 with a big bore he bought for cheap over at Kevins one afternoon .I mean that thing had some grunt .I have no idea where he got it but it was a direct bolt on .No machining ,just put it on and fire it up .

The fella that taught me to climb kept a 064 in the fleet. It was clean as a whistle and treated well. I ignored it for a long time until I used it with a 24" bar in some oak one day. I rarely used another saw while I worked for him after that. That thing was a thumper.

064 003.jpg 064 002.jpg

Best saw I ever logged with in medium sawlog timber. My 1st 064 was a early 1986 model, 14.1 lbs and 85cc!! I used a 20"b/c, perfect for felling, limbing and topping.

Still have it today as a shelf queen ready to race with a strong woods port and 084 carb which I did in the late 1980s.

As a preface, the most I've done with a saw is change an oiler, and a carb kit.

What would I be doing to install a set of rings?

Where would I find a step-by-step, if there is one? Cut4Fun's site?

I'm fairly mechanically competent, and also know that I don't want to get in over my head. I'll work through things, especially with the 660 as a big saw for work until I can get it back together.

I've had this mistaken idea that newer models are improved models. Figured 066s were a step up from 064, 660 an improvement over an 066. Guess I know better now.

Willard, you have a lot of experience with different saws. Have you ever run an 076? Kind of a big wide old thing, but they do the job. 111ccs. I have one with no decomp...stings like a bastad, but extremely reliable. I've used a couple, two that came on a milling saw, and one that a guy left with me because he didn't like lifting it anymore. They all ran splendid and will start right up after a long period of no use. Basically indestructible.... I think the 075 was a good saw too, but no experience with it.

stock 066 BB on a 064 with 9T

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9aSfC6l0NV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quite simple actually to change the rings , but while your at it put in a new piston with wrist pin bearing and cylinder base gasket in too.
A torx wrench and scrench is about all you need to get the piston/rings changed.

Willard, you have a lot of experience with different saws. Have you ever run an 076? Kind of a big wide old thing, but they do the job. 111ccs. I have one with no decomp...stings like a bastad, but extremely reliable. I've used a couple, two that came on a milling saw, and one that a guy left with me because he didn't like lifting it anymore. They all ran splendid and will start right up after a long period of no use. Basically indestructible.... I think the 075 was a good saw too, but no experience with it.
No I haven't Jay ,I do own a heavier saw- a 090AV. So the 076 shouldn't be all that bad to handle.
I heard good stories about the 076 being a true workhorse bucking sawlogs at the landing.

My family and I are catching a plane in 9 hrs and will spend the next 3 weeks in a little village on Jaltemba Bay north of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. So I gotta get to bed and get a little shuteye.
I'll be sure to post a pic of myself in a day or two sitting on the beach with my Master Blaster Tree Houser t- shirt on.:occasion5:

I've had this mistaken idea that newer models are improved models. Figured 066s were a step up from 064, 660 an improvement over an 066. Guess I know better now.
One would think so but it doesn't prove out that way .The modern or latest if you will Ms 660 is a mere shadow to the older 066 .Restricted exhaust etc to meet EPA standards have turned a lion into a pussy cat

Running heads up last summer on a 60 some inch diameter ash tree with Tom on one end with a 660 and me on the other with a souped 038 Mag I ran just about dead even with him .On an older 066 souped or not 038Mag I would not be able to do so on big wood .

Now we're talking like 95 cc to 72 .Ain't no way you can soup that much into a saw to do that unless the bigger one was a whimp .They flat killed a legion .

Quite simple actually to change the rings , but while your at it put in a new piston with wrist pin bearing and cylinder base gasket in too.
A torx wrench and scrench is about all you need to get the piston/rings changed.

Really! :O

That, and some knowledge.

Back