020 clutch removal

Ed L

Treehouser
What do you use? Need to buy one......Baileys doesn't list one that will work, any other aftermarket ones available? Don't really want to buy one through the dealer.

Ed

Ed it takes the same clutch as the 200t Part# 1129 160 2000
I had no luck locating an aftermarket, maybe some one else has a supplier.

If it is the old style type clutch with 3 shoes and no 19mm nut on the side you need a 3 prong type spanner wrench to fit in between the shoes. Not recommending this but after you jam the cylinder a hammer and punch might get the job done. An 020 clutch shouldn't be too hard to get off as per say a bigger saw would be.

I recently had to change one of my 020 super's over to a 1/4 inch sprocket to accomidate a carving bar and chain. That saw had a 19mm nut on the clutch. It almost was the same thing found on the ms200's but they are different and won't interchange. Maybe the 200T clutch carried over from the 020 line. It is a much better clutch than them old stlye clutches with the friction coated shoes.

The spanner wrench for the 020 shouldn't be that much to buy. There isn't much to it. I dunno know. Funny thing is I have two and no one can find one. I have no idea if that tool is still availble from Stihl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, old style clutch, no nut.

I guess I better check the other 020 and my parts saws, see what they are like. This saw is about due for a clutch, won't know for sure til I get the drum off. If its the only one I've got that needs the special tool, I'll just slip the dealer a few bucks for removal.

Thanks

Ed

You need no piston stopper if you use hammer and punch. Just make sure you know were you put it and have good contact.

If stoppers is used forces are loading bearings, rod and crank. No need for it unless it is extreme conditions.
Perhaps one of 150 times I need a stopper, that is when rope is used.

Seen way to many damages done by stoppers..

Are you refering to an 020 T or the older 020 Av ? If the later although I have pictures of it some place replacing a seal I can't find them .Also if I'll look in the morning as I have an 020AV in the shed but it's dark as the inside of a boot out there now .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The saw (020av) has the ancient (original) no hex clutch, my 020 super, has the hex clutch, so the old saw is like the odd man out. Its the type that has a lining on the shoes (that is coming apart) instead of the current sintered metal. After inspection, I ordered a new clutch assembly ($70), the new clutch will have the hex for easy removal.
All is well, no need to buy the special tool.

Ed

If I'm reading the IPL correctly the sintered iron shoes are part number 1120-162-0805 .The lined are 1114-160-1500 .

Fact in just scanning the big book of IPLS the clutch spider is number 114-162-3200 .This is the same for the 012 and perhaps others weather lined or iron shoes .The 012 BTW uses shoes 1120-162-0805 just like to 020AV .

Well chit .I just looked ,flea bay has a bunch of 012 clutchs .New less than 50 and used less than 20 a pop .Who knew ?????

Back