Insect and bites

Fuel reduction projects in the forest require you to slash down the burn piles. There is a skill involved in building a good burn pile, frequently burnt in snow-- easy to light, has heat reaching the right fuel, in the right density, easy to tend. I don't know much about it, never having tended burn piles like that. Could be relatively easy work, sitting by the fires, or a lot of work, as I've heard it told. My old roommates in Tahoe worked for Cal Parks and did some of that.

We call it "chainsaw chipping", it is my MO right now, it aint that bad but I'll agree it is super dangerous!!

As far as getting it out of the trailer, I did what Sean said for a while with the bowline but have been experimenting with some plunger type methods lately. It seems to work better with the rope on the bottom of the pile...

Funny. I don't think its dangerous at all. I always feel like I have wood or steel side boards, or 12" of slashed up brush between me, at the very least. I keep the bar relatively horizontal, and close to the brush, more or less with the powerhead weight also on the brush.

Levi, what are you using for a trailer? The one in your avatar? Do you have sides that flip up/ sides that are stationary/ both? Do you know about a parbuckle set-up?

I agree about the big saw...

Sean, the trailer I have has about 4' solid sides, what's par-buckling?

My brother managed to cut his thigh open while chainsaw chipping the trailer load. When he was green...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DlIZvCXbXBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You basically get a 2:1 out of the wrap around the load. If you can remove your side wall (I have wood stakes and sides on my flatbed trailer. I can slip the walls off. I can sometimes just get two or three long limbs, using them as levers, slid beneath the load of limbs, to lift/ roll/ lever them off with another guy or two. Unload in 5 minutes, no fuss.

If you run your straps from an anchor point on the passenger's side, to the driver's side, under the brush, then over the top, you can pull the ropes from the passenger's side, and roll out a bundle, I think, parbuckle 2:1 style.

Dragging out the back is better if you can anchor to a stationary object.

Friend of mine did this last weekend...sent me a text that said, "Always pay attention when using that chain saw it will bite your knee" and "3 bandaids and vaseline" and he was all good. I thought it was all a texting joke. When I called a few hours later to be sure it was really a joke he was on the way to the ER...decided 3 bandaids and Vaseline might not be enough. Got 4 stitches, antibiotic and tetanus.

I offered to go ahead and finish cutting the red tip bushes he was working on when the kickback drove the saw into his leg...he was resting the power head on his leg as he cut and the kickback drove the chain back onto his leg. (no chaps)

He said he stopped the bleeding, went back and finished the red tips then headed to the ER....whatta you do with these guys?:lol:

He is a pretty tough fellow...now he is a much smarter guy...I hope.

Attachments

• Randall chainsaw cut.jpg
    Randall chainsaw cut.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 32
Ha! I made the same cut, on my knee. It was a bit smaller, and didn't even bleed. I finished the day and one the way home stopped off at the ER and got 3 or 4 stitches...

That's a nasty cut, coulda been worse I guess.

Sean, the parbuckling seems like a good idear, I'll try it out!

have been experimenting with some plunger type methods lately...
Fill us in levi!I'm a chainsaw chipper fool lately.
Sean parbuckle set up?
Last time we loaded the trailer about 1/3 or 1/2 of the way, then took some nice sturdy logs/branches and placed them at the back of the trailer and tied em up with the pull out rope. Worked a dream! I think we'll get some 2x4s and make an X to place in the back for a more permanent thing, although the small logs worked great.

Got the idea from a guy I know who used to put a pallet in the back of a U-Haul truck with ropes coming out either side, and yes, he would stuff the box truck full of brush!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chaps, I do have to get those, been doing chainsaw chipping with out, and has been very consern of a bad move.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is my main concern, when doing sawchipping. Maybe been so consern has keep me from making a mistake.

Catching the sides of a caged trailer can induce severe kickback. I've found its worthwhile spending the extra time properly trimming up and prepping all the material before loading, no forks, no butts thicker than 2 inches, neatly and tightly stacked.

Back