How'd it go today?

I sat in a 324J at my buddies open house this spring. The 324 doesn't have the stereoscopic steering, or whatever it is called. Looks like a really neat machine. Made by Liebherr, I believe.

short easy day today. dropped one tree and climbed another a couople houses down, chiped brush and loaded logs. done.

Kind of a day off tomorrow; pick up mini and bring it and 38 Speacial in for seasonal maint., then a trip up north to look over a propety that got logged. Might chip and move all the tops...we'll see.

Man, you must plan on a lot of snow removal then to get a 244J, that's a big machine for tree work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No shortage of snow here 6 months of the year hahaha. 6 feet where I'm going to.
I think the 244J is perfect little work horse. Just gotta put some forestry screen and tires on it, grapple , winch.

I've taken some advice, I am going to try to reduce expectations on my employee. Try to play to his strengths. I would like to hire a good that can work aerially and on the ground and operate a mini. Maybe hiring a part time removal climber (I have almost always gotten the spur-only climbers applying) would help me during the busy season. I have almost always gotten the spur-only climbers applying. I could run the mini.

That's mostly what I do Sean. Our trees are much smaller here, so I can wreck a tree pretty quick while my guy stages brush out of his way. When I'm down, I run the mini while he handles the chipper. He can run the mini too, but not near as efficiently as me.

Kinda of another screwy day. Started out with our first palm tree removal. Did it solo....
Passed out some cards to the neighbours and answered a lot of questions.
Tried to get in and out quickly.. oh well.
Back lean had me a tad worried. Not much room for wedges. So I just cut a deep face and undermined the COG..
IMAG0001.jpg IMAG0004.jpg IMAG0005.jpg IMAG0008.jpg IMAG0010.jpg

:lol:

We got the big poplar done that got postponed from last week. I got lots of pics to sort out from it....to many even, but good ones at least. Perfect weather this time, warm but with a cooling sea breeze. I'll put up the pics and video just as soon as I can. DSC03323.JPG

Just get up there!

Thats exactly the best medicine for me. I took a long weekend away up island, to a seaside town. Too much time thinking and reflecting. I was depressed this morning, I felt weak even. By the time Id finished wrecking that big twat I was in a much better place :thumbup: Without that focus and physical outlet I am not such good company.

Today we did some back leaning cottonwood felling with a loaded chip truck and our 9/16th 19k spectra core double braid line. Included is my screw up, that was a close call, but no damage.
Referred to the shooting range by a world class archer friend who is also a wickedly good skier and bicycle racer.... I bid $980, the clueless lion's tailing Evergreen came in at $2700, and some yahoo I've never heard of at $1500. Job was done in under 5 hours, and that's with filing a saw, breaking a throw line while setting a pull line, and starting over, measuring out, cutting and making another throw line, from what was 1000 feet of 1.75 Fling It....and setting up the camera for several videos.... and the head scratching and "phews" after the screw up.... losing my three year old "Indsetructible" Wesspur shot pouch..... which was found by the clean up crew, who called me as they found my tool bag under a felled tree...forgetful old fart, eh?!!

All told, there were 10 sticks to fell, including two small hard leaners, one of which I used a Coos Bay cut, and the other a triangular shaped hinge, with cutting out the corners......

They'll be my client for life.... the mishap not withstanding....

http://youtu.be/LRA0geVL<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LRA0geVL85M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lets see.
Under budget on a 4 day job but have a flat tire on the job site.
More tree work over the cell phone..
No water at home... well pump shot?? We shall see when the new one goes down the hole.
Call about Datsun.. Rear end failure... Found one.. But....
So tomorrow...
Drop Rob off on a job... Go 45 minutes to do a job solo. SHould pay for two tires I will pick up down there.
Drive back and pick up Rob...
Go pick up rear end... Drop off on mechanic.
Back to house to monitor what water we might have and possibly call the water truck
Pump on order, should be here before the weekend.
Pool pump sprung a leak this morning. Lost 400 gallon...
Had to go do laundry at laundry mat so I have something to wear to work tomorrow.
Game on bitches!

400 gallons! I think I know where all your water went!
I run out of water just trying to fill up the baby pool, and we don't even have any kids :D

It was more than a slight cockup, or could have been. Besides my analysis of my errant backcut (and cutting too much hinge out before Trevor stood the tree up more), I should have redirected the pull line through a block on a tree off to the right to get a better angle of pull to compensate for the side lean. But, in analyzing the tree, it was the back lean that concerned me more than the side lean. It also possible that the tree had some upper canopy limb locked in the douglas fir behind it and to the lean side that gave some initial resistance and helped the very soft hinge wood totally fail.

Thanks for posting that Rog. Close one. I agree your hinge could have been better. It did also look like you have a high (slow) pull on those other trees. Couldnt see the last one that went sideways.

Good restful day today.

took mini & 38 special in for maint.

met with an old friend and his wife and toured their property (campground that is closed this year)...been logged and they want it cleaned up.

Going to work there one week (by the hour) and see how it goes. If it works out to everyone's satisfaction we will have the whole job to do...might be a months worth of work - don't know - hard to estimate cleaning up the brush from 1000 trees.

i'll pull my camper up and stay at the property. Nick said he may camp in an open campground nearby somewhere with his family.

Heading down Sunday to pay for camper and bring it up here.

Back