Sthil 150 v Husky 536

Yeah, that big pack can run 10 hours.....but costs about $1000:O. I'd rather just have several batteries and recharge them. Who the hell is gonna work 10 hours straight!! I can carve 30 to 40 minutes nonstop with a 4.2 aH battery.

I'm loving my 536lixp. I've been using it a few months now almost daily. I grab it before my stihl ms150 or stihl battery saw. ...it's such a pleasure to use.

About a week ago I was the top bidder on an almost brand new 536li XP on eBay. About $200 total:) This is my second 536.
The first one I went straight to the 1/4" .043 stihl setup.....never even tried the stock 3/8" bar and chain. My intentions buying this second 536 was to run the stock 14" bar and chain for larger cuts and blocking out carvings. ....but it was totally not what I thought it would be. Stock 3/8" setup SUCKS all around. It cuts slower, it's heavier, you can't do plunge cuts, and runtime is EXTREMELY lower. It's a completely different saw with the mini 1/4" bar and chain. So I am definitely not using the stock bar and chain(I've got two brand new sets of them now). ......so now I've got one 536li XP running stihl 12" mini 1/4" bar and chain, and the other 536 is running an 8" cannon .043 carving bar with stihl .043 1/4" chain.
For those of you running stock bar and chain I highly recommend trying the mini 1/4" setup. ...it makes the husky a much better tool. There's much less stress on the whole system too. This little chain zips through wood with so little resistance. I'm also sure that in the long term , battery life and brushless motor life will be greatly extended. Motor and battery after running the 3/8" stock crap are much hotter as compared to running 1/4".

You have to drill a new bar mount hole and oil hole. I can take a pic to show how mine looks. Bar mount hole is very easy because you can use the sock bar as a template...just make a dot with a sharpie thru the husky bar onto the stihl bar. The oil hole you just gotta fudge and eyeball it like I did( or measure like a smart person).

Another option is Baileys. They recently started making Woodland Pro bars in 1/4" .043, specifically for the stihl chain. All specs are almost exactly the same on these bars compared to stihl counterparts(length, width, sprocket size, tip size). BUT.....the woodland pro bars are a hair thicker.....and I find this makes a big difference in cutting speed. The thinner stihl bars let the chain cut faster. But the woodland pro bars are pre drilled to line up with bar mount and oiler hole on the husky.

Here's a Baileys 14" 1/4", .043 compared to Stihls

In this pic you can see the holes I drilled in the Stihl bar, compared to the Woodland Pro bar that is ready from the factory to fit a variety of saws.

Back