Bulldog Bone

Looks like something that could go directly on the bridge, rather than a rigging plate and biner...

It actually needs the freedom of movement that clipping onto a bridge ring gives it. A lot of guys like having even more movement in the form of a swivel. I don't think that much is needed but you do need some to allow for comfortable hand placement. It can still be removed easily for passing redirects.

Plus, if it was on your bridge permanently it would be a pain when switching to a different system.

Randy...My BDB is pre-D-ring for tending, but your full size biner clipped directly to the D-ring looks like it would always be in an awkward position when you sit back. I suggest using a ~3" continuous loop of zing-it or dynaglide larks headed to the D-ring and clip into that (or something similar to DMc's setup in post 145). An adjustable bridge drawn in short while ascending helps keep the BDB in a low position for good tending.

Here is the setup I used today...zing-it loop for BDB tending and SAKA (knee ascender) individually connected to a small delta on my chest harness.

IMG_20150125_111914_409 pe copy med.jpg

Yes, that's a 100% made be me knock off. After buying a BDB, I decided to make one. The only functional difference is that the hole spacing in the top arm is optimized for use with Yale 11.7 mm ropes and my usage. Gordon also seems to be willing to customize the spacing if desired/needed.

Making my own has made the price paid for the real deal seem very reasonable.

Well the Bone is running a dream now on a clean rope. I am presently doing a job with 48 Mature Beech trees. Various states of decline, some removal but a lot of deadwooding for safety etc.

I had the go pro with me yesterday so got a bit of footage of the work and the bone in action. Hope you like it, it isn't the usual crash bash type video but a more relaxed pace. The whole climb was 21 minutes, so not a lot of work but here it is and hope you like it.

Slate away.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ehx-SPwp3k4?list=UUDxq_mj90Xl1_Jnwij0bzkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are two from the brand new batch. The snap swivel links swing aside to allow the rope to be installed and then snap back in place to add strength to the friction links.

IMG_1237_zpsegqtad03.jpg

Hi Randy, thanks to your video you posted on Youtube being also the first time I had ever seen the BdB after spending lots of $$$ on stuff I never really liked 100%, it got me to order one straight away...Thanks!

Spokesman with the authentic touch of a facial scratch, so common to tree climbers. I have a little one under my nose ATM.

BTW, how does it advance when pulled straight down, with a ropewalker? Any problem?

It needs to be unweighted to advance freely without drag so connect the knee ascender to a chest harness or similar and not to the bottom of the bone....unless you're asking how it advances when the rope is being pulled straight down by a foot/knee ascender in which case the answer is it advances very well.

Hope I didn't screw this answer up too badly.

Here's my most recent(3rd)climb on the 'Bone. Wanted to show the ease of the 'Bone going on and off the rope.
It's a long video but gives a good idea of how easy it is to work with in less than ideal conditions. :thumbup:;)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uop92dOTsvY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No matter the length, it's always a pleasure watching your videos with the BDB in action, man! Good Job!!! The more you post the more I will be learning from it!

Back