O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

P1020478.JPG P1020477.JPG P1020481.JPG P1020480.JPG

Finally got my new work truck that I bought in Austria on the road.
VW 4-motion.
4 wheel drive, armorplated bottom and two separate auxillary heaters. One to heat the engine for winter starts, one to blow hot air into the cabin, when we eat lunch.

Yup, they do.
And off a separate battery under the passenger seat, so one can't milk the main battery dry.

Absolutely magnificent. Wish they were available here,

Oh, yeah...you need tire chains, as I recall. Need we work out a USA connection for those?

:D

Absolutely magnificent. Wish they were available here,

Oh, yeah...you need tire chains, as I recall. Need we work out a USA connection for those?

:D

The chains from my old truck will fit this one just fine:D

I wouldn't buy American chains anyway, I'd be afraid it would go the same way as when I bought a snowplow for the ATV.
I figured, let's get something real good, made in the good old US of A, so I bought a Warn.
Imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found all the little "Made in China" stickers.

That was a surprise? What isn't made in China.

Back in the earlier days of Wal-Mart, when Sam Walton was alive, I believe everything sold was made in the USA. NO LONGER, that's for sure.

That's changing, from what I can see. I only go to Walmart for socks and boxers. The Fruit of the loom socks I get used to be made all over the place. China, I think Pakistan at one point. Now they are made in USA. I think a lot of people are finally starting to realize that buying cheap stuff at Walmart is what may have put them out of a job.

That's encouraging.

Buying on Amazon will be putting people out of jobs, too. Convenience/ affordability/ plethora of choices versus a preferred local retailer, sometimes.

I just bought the RPM/ hour meter through amazon for $12, without spending any money or time on driving around or calling around. Hard to beat.

Well yes and no. A friend of mine has a distribution center for Amazon located here in my home town and that has brought in 70 jobs.

I'm over my "made in China" issues...just like I got over my "made in Japan" issues when I was a teen, my "made in Korea" issues when I was in my 20's, and my "made in Taiwan" issues in my 30's.

Like any other place that manufactures real things, there are great, good, marginal, and crap stuff produced from all of the above places...just like in the 1950's with "made in USA" tags, if you're old enough to remember back then.

We live in a world marketplace. I'll pay my hard earned dollars to anyone who gives me value for the cost.

Not to ignore the problem of slave or prison labor, child workers, and probably much worse. That shite is a tough nut to crack. Those same people who are undoubtedly getting the very short end of the stick in their work environments and pay, may well be better off for that smidgeon of improvement that their jobs provide over none at all.

It's a effing mess.

I'm getting a shop! It's about 6 miles from my house, on the way into town. Tonight we dropped the trailer in there to see how it would work out. Dropped the two chippers and the other Avant off yesterday, signing the lease Monday. We parked the F250 between the trailer and the chippers. There's also a parking pad outside, which I may leave the trailers on as required. I have 20' of gondola shelving to put in, maybe I'll get that done over the weekend. there is an equal sized portion on the other side of the block wall that's mine for the taking if/when I want or need it. If I get it, I'll almost assuredly take out the block wall.

Resized.jpg

Looks good. Got adequate electric service to set up work space and tools properly, no doubt. I know you'd not overlook so basic an item.

Back