it's already getting cold. corkboots, winter wear discussion.

right..

today i made up my mind.

was going for the viking unlined calks with their linerinsert.
hang it.

of course now i'm hemming and hawing.
suck.

baselayer,
i've got a few sets of midweight wool underwear coming
then some heavier weight wool as well.

i'm going to grab some heavy fleece or something for a second layer.

i found some good army surplus outer layer stuff and went wool sweater crazy at the thriftstores..

it's down to the boots.

boss says we'll be doing TSI work in the dead of winter, so i guess i'm going to go with a winter calked pac.
Henry, walking in dry snow a foot deep at -20 below with caulks doesn't offer good traction, you'll be slipping and sliding. You're better off with regular cleat rubber soles. I've been there ,done that.
Here's my 1980's Finland made Nokia logging boots [ now a days called Vikings cheaply made in Indonesia] that I've worked with past -40 below. Beside them are the felt liners I line them with, reflective outer layer keeps the cold out and feet are toasty warm with 20% wool, rest synthetic. Easy to pull out and dry at night. Boots have steel toe, ballistic nylon lined tongue for cut resistant . Great spur climbing boots and the leather uppers are snug and breathe good.

Now if you want really warm boots the white pac boots on the left that I wore in the army field engineers can't be beat. Only trouble no protective toe or good arch support.
Bottom pic is what I wear in warmer winter weather with wet slushy snow. One of the best high top forestry grade boots you can buy for just a little over $100.

20141015_210412 (1024x768).jpg 20141015_205359 (1024x768).jpg

it's down to the boots.

boss says we'll be doing TSI work in the dead of winter, so i guess i'm going to go with a winter calked pac.

Have to agree with Holmen, in knee deep sugar snow like you get at -20 caulks suck for traction.

I have these in the claw sole and as long as you are moving they are warm for me to -20.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=13AB/MON

For warmer wet snow that packs up to ice I use these caulks.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=12C

But as pointed out, caulks need to be put on at the job site. They tear the the heck out of truck and equipment interiors/pedals.

Another trick I have learned over the years is to carry a extra set of liners and wool socks in the truck. If mid day you feel your feet getting damp/sweaty cold, change them out.

Took me years to figure out my cold feet problems were from my sweating in the boots. Which is why the Mukluks work so well in -20 or colder. The sweat can pass through the liner and out of the mukluk.

Ahhh mukluks..... brings back memories of sore feet and sore backs
RajE, are those old mukluks still army issue?
Mine with the heavy duty double wool liners and the 3 tier felt, air mesh, felt insoles couldn't be beat for warmth and comfort and still be super lightweight.
I pulled many a aluminum toboggan on snow shoes with them on weeklong winter exercises. Everything in white camo and sleeping in a tent at -50 below.

That was so long ago that we were still using the Belgian FN 7.62 C1 and C2 rifles.

Have to agree with Holmen, in knee deep sugar snow like you get at -20 caulks suck for traction.

I have these in the claw sole and as long as you are moving they are warm for me to -20.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=13AB/MON

For warmer wet snow that packs up to ice I use these caulks.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=12C

But as pointed out, caulks need to be put on at the job site. They tear the the heck out of truck and equipment interiors/pedals.

Another trick I have learned over the years is to carry a extra set of liners and wool socks in the truck. If mid day you feel your feet getting damp/sweaty cold, change them out.

Took me years to figure out my cold feet problems were from my sweating in the boots. Which is why the Mukluks work so well in -20 or colder. The sweat can pass through the liner and out of the mukluk.
Good points RD,
A trick I found for me to keep my feet warm and dry is at the start of the day I put Mitchum underarm roll on antiperspirant on my feet .

RajE, are those old mukluks still army issue?
Mine with the heavy duty double wool liners and the 3 tier felt, air mesh, felt insoles couldn't be beat for warmth and comfort and still be super lightweight.
I pulled many a aluminum toboggan on snow shoes with them on weeklong winter exercises. Everything in white camo and sleeping in a tent at -50 below.

That was so long ago that we were still using the Belgian FN 7.62 C1 and C2 rifles.

I was in till about 1999. When I joined we still had the FNs, aluminum toboggans, the arctic tents and mukluks, far as I know they still have all but the FNs.

This was me, about '88...... but not to derail, the mukluks were a great boot.

1929136_9868605491_8302_n.jpg

I left in 1982. I see your using the FN C2 in your pic...nice. I was always stuck with the C2 as a machine gunner but loved it, lot's of fully auto fire power with that 7.62/.308 rifle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
attachment.php

Henry ,it just might be my old age .......but those boots would wear me down quick working in foot deep or deeper snow. Would be nice and toasty warm for stump grinding or feeding the chipper...........or riding a snowmobile though:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
could be..
they're big no doubt

got some hoffman's coming for shit kicking duties and warmer temps

these are as light as my summer boots, have a composite toe, good sole and will keep me warm and dry on the coldest days i'll ever see

Well the composite toe may prevent a dropped round from breaking your toe, but won't stop a chainsaw cut.
The trick with working with the least energy in powder snow is a smooth rubber boot surface like the shiny Nokia or Viking [with regular lug sole]........ what a difference over leather or nylon. Their compact size also takes less energy to walk through snow.
Always go one size up and use felt liners and steel toes even at -40 below won't cool your toes.;)

While we're on the subject of children's boots, these are my 7 year old twin daughter's boots.....good quality Canadian boots.

20141024_095744.jpg

My son gave me a pair of Ringers Gloves (model number R-266) for use with the chainsaw during the cold winter months. I doubted that they'd be much better than what I've been wearing, but I was wrong.

These things are the best I've ever tried. The Ringers website says they're good to 20 below zero. I don't know if they'll be good to that low temp, but they're great at temps as low as 0F...... I know for sure.

This pair has been worn while making firewood for the past two weeks. They aren't new any longer, but they do hold up well in rough conditions. They've got heavy padding on the knuckles and back of the hand. The palms are made of some very tough stuff. The insulation is very light but provides excellent protection against the cold. Dexterity is good.....about as much as can be expected from a good winter glove. The price is about 60 bucks per pair. Ringers Gloves R-266 017.jpg Joel

Back